Thread: Glue spot on TLA-1 intended for natural finish

Glue spot on TLA-1 intended for natural finish

Got a couple of units in today half a planet away. (Thanks Adam - great quality as always!). One is a TLA-1 and there's a glossy smooth glue spot just on the top left edge of the bridge assembly area that sorta puts it in "prime time" viewing . A sorta oval shape about 1/2" by 1.5" - glossy smooth to the touch.

The guy I'm making this one for wants it "very plain" (?? Go figure, but whatever...) - ordinarily I'd try to do something creative to just ignore the spot, but I can't on this one.

Anybody got experience with removing these? I've got spirits and what not ("goof off" acetone, whatever in the US) but don't want to make it *worse* by somehow impacting the unaffected area that is "normal" right now.

Greatly appreciated for any suggestions. Finish will be natural with Tru-Oil.

If you are concerned with the agressiveness or smootching it out with acetone and stuff, perhaps use a lukewarm damp cloth to soften the glue and lightly try to get the most glue off using a single razor and then move to products like you mentioned? I have done it this way after I hit some glue spots, but already stained my TLA-1f. Got the bulk of fairly easily with the razor, then used some Gum turps.

Good luck!

Thanks RocknRolf - I'm hoping somebody can tell me what *kind* of glue it is and why it is there in the middle of an ash body? Like used to replace a chipout, what? Just a drip from an unrelated process?

About 5 hours ago, when I prepped the whole body with water for initial bristle bump/sand - I knew it was there, curiously, that part was "light" and the rest of course damp/dark. NOW - the body is back to dry but that glued part is really really slow to dry. (I marked the edges with a pencil - not my first rodeo).

So I *guess* it is porous, not CA? but <shrug> hoping someone can enlighten me. This is a natural finish not sure how I can avoid a blotchy...

BTW - like an idiot I looked at the FAQ *after* I posted this not before. Sorry everybody. Anybody reading this thread, be advised, well covered in the FAQ section.