Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EXM-1 Lefty Build (First Build)

EXM-1 Lefty Build (First Build)

For years I've wanted an explorer, but being left handed has made it almost an impossible dream. I decided to treat myself to a Pitbull EXM kit to realise that dream.

Looking for tips, advice and help along the way, and hopefully share the journey.

I finally received my kit today and started with a very quick mock build just to check the parts list.
    the first thing i noticed is that there is a small gap between the neck and the body. It looks to be about 0.5mm on either side.

I'm not sure how much of an issue this is, but looking for advice. some other posts on the site recommend using a thin veneer as a spacer?

see image below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exm1.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	32564

Hey Michael welcome!
    Fellow lefty here,.. can be a pain right?

The neck of my TL has a similar spacing but it is a bolt on neck. I was advised not to worry, but with a glue in neck I personally would use veneer to create a better bond. Check your bridge position first before you sway the neck one way or the other.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard MM! My first kit was an EXA-1 some 7-8 builds back. Look forward to seeing how you go with it.
    +1 to RocknROlfs statement, wrap some masking tape around the bridge studs to get them to sit firmly in their mounting holes, then mount your bridge and check your neck alignment before you move to shim or glue anything.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks RocknRolf and FrankenWashie!
    Right now I'm focussing on sanding and more sanding. I'm not sure of the finish just yet. Torn between a shou sugi ban (burned) finish or just a simple cherry stain.

I've waited so long for this to arrive (I'm in South Africa) that i'm now worried about ruining it if i burn the wood.

I foresee my next few weeks being filled with sandpaper, before I need to worry too much about glue

Given your location, I'd give it a week or so for the wood of the kit to settle before making any decisions regarding filling gaps etc. The various woods in the kit can expand/contract at different rates with a major change in environment, altitude etc, so you may find things will alter a little over some time.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMaven View Post
    Thanks RocknRolf and FrankenWashie!
    Right now I'm focussing on sanding and more sanding. I'm not sure of the finish just yet. Torn between a shou sugi ban (burned) finish or just a simple cherry stain.

I've waited so long for this to arrive (I'm in South Africa) that i'm now worried about ruining it if i burn the wood.

I foresee my next few weeks being filled with sandpaper, before I need to worry too much about glue

Lekker Meneer!

There is a mad man who goes by the screen name MetalRulz4ever who has done some un real Shou Sugi Ban builds on here, and he is also on Facebook as No Naim Brand where you can see a gallery of his work. I'm sure he'd be happy to advise, failing that there's a lot of tutorial stuff on YT.

Best of luck with it mate, sing out if you need help or have questions.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks for this info WeirdBits, its makes a lot of sense, i assumed that changes in humidity and altitude would affect the would but didn't know how much. Will keep my eye on it for a week while i sand the rest of the body nice and smooth

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Lekker Meneer!

There is a mad man who goes by the screen name MetalRulz4ever who has done some un real Shou Sugi Ban builds on here, and he is also on Facebook as No Naim Brand where you can see a gallery of his work. I'm sure he'd be happy to advise, failing that there's a lot of tutorial stuff on YT.

Best of luck with it mate, sing out if you need help or have questions.
    Will search now and reach out.

I've just gotten home and noticed some cracks in the body along the glue lines where the pieces are glued together. I can only imagine that it's from the change in humidity ( it is very dry where I am) . Any idea on what to do?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast