Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: November GOTM.

Here's the KH-1 Klein headless kit I've been building off and on (more off than on) since February. Finally finished. Paint is Krylon Dark Matte Gray from a rattle can, and Krylon clear satin finish, also from a rattle can. The neck is Minwax Classic Gray stain with Tru Oil finish. Everything is stock from the kit, with the obvious exceptions of the "Overlord of Music" tremolo bridge and head piece being replaced with J-Custom parts from HeadlessUSA.

Name:  KH-1 Front (sm).jpg
Views: 695
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  KH-1 Body (sm).jpg
Views: 666
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  KH-1 Bridge View (sm).jpg
Views: 682
Size:  166.0 KB

Name:  KH-1 Neck View (sm).jpg
Views: 613
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  KH-1 Back (sm).jpg
Views: 678
Size:  130.6 KB
    Last edited by PJSprog; 31-10-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Comp closed - opening new one shortly...

That's a very different and polished piece their PJSprog. Tidy!

4. Liked by: PJSprog

Over to the comments...

Barfly1959's TBJ-5
    I love everything about this Bass. So unique and so Metal; with insipred details everywhere you look. Great job!
    It's such a different but really appealing finish, like some old rusting hulk with new hardware slapped in it. The "stainless" scratchplate goes well with the black hardware (a black jack/nut would be a nice addition) and the neck colour complements the build nicely. The headstock could be a touch lighter and the sharp transition on the back tends to draw the eye, but I love the overall look. Great job.
    Very interesting rusty looking finish. Love the scratch plate and neck inlays and upgraded bridge was a smart choice. Usually take marks off for no headstock logo but all is forgiven due to artwork on scratch plate instead. Awesome effort for a first build.
    Unique finish. Looks amazing. Very impressive.

Metal Rulez 4ever's TB5-JF
    Ancient Japanese wood burning… Naim, you have excelled yourself again. Simply stunning.
    Stunning build and the effort putting into achieving that finish really shows. I think my favourite part is the grain lines on the back of the neck. Awesome. The combination of Shou Sugi Ban with the other techniques has produced an incredible looking bass. I understand the two sets of knobs, but I probably would have stuck with a matched set.
    Wow, wow, wow…..that looks brilliant with how you have taken so much time and effort to pick out all the grain, including on neck & headstock. Looks like an upgrade bridge or is this what now comes stock on the fiver’s. Chicken head and traditional control knobs work well together too. I reckon this is your best looking build out of the many you have done.
    Another amazing bass build from Metal Rulez. You have really perfected that technique.

Andrew67's PBA-4
    Understaded P Bass goodness… I don’t know any Bass player who wouldn’t want this in their collection.
    A really nice clean natural P doing full justice to that tasty piece of Ash, and the back of the body is just naturally stunning. The pickguard dominates a little, but still suits the build. Shame about the screws in front of the bridge and it would have been nice to have something to liven up the plain maple of the headstock. Very classy looking build.
    Presume this is your first build and a great one to start with. Stunning grain in the body that looks one piece and commend you for keeping a natural finish to let it be on display. Tortoiseshell scratch plate fits in perfectly with the theme you have created here. Plenty of real estate available to place your own logo somewhere on the headstock to finish things off.
    Simple, clean build. Looks like you had to move the bridge, but it is a good save.

PJSprog's KH-1
    Wow! This Guitar needs to be in a frame at a Gallery. If Lou Reed (the only Klein player I know) were still alive, he would be all over this guitar.
    These things mess with my head, but I love this. The combination of the black and grey with the satin and the 'dirty' grey worn look of the neck really works for me. The hardware upgrades top it off and the result is simple yet stunning. I'd definitely reach for it.
    Odd man out in more ways than being the only guitar plus the only headless entry this month. For a non-traditional Steinberger Headless this shape looks rather cool, particularly so in the matte grey finish. Timber finished neck looks good but if mine I would have been tempted to do it the same matte grey. Upgrades make sense with that headstock/nut assembly looking a much better setup.
    Bridge and nut upgrades are definite improvements. The matte grey suits the futuristic shape.

And the runner up - close margin, but congratulations to Metal Rulez 4ever's TB5-JF.

And the winner - take a bow PJSprog's KH-1 - clean lines, satin finish - beautiful!

Wow, thanks, guys. Definitely didn't see that coming.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Nice work everyone. I don’t think I would pick any of these as, ‘home made.’

Congrats all on some stunning build work, Extended congratulations to PJS and Naim for the gongs, fantastic work fellas!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Holy smoke well done guys such beautiful guitars
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Top effort from all entrants and congrats to PJSprog & Naim.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast