Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Owned ESB4.

The lesson is to inspect carefully and make sure the windings are protected..

If anyone's interested this is the circuit I'm currently planning. I figured it out while I still thought I was going to have a single coil pickup at the neck, so I bought the switches for that.
    Its basically Jazz bass style wiring, with a coil tap switch for the bridge pickup and a phase reverse on the neck pickup. I've set it so the phase reverse switch also coil taps.
    I suppose, thinking about it, a more conventional alternative would be to ditch the phase reverse and have both switches simply coil taps, but I have a reverse phase switch on my Jazz Bass and use it.

If I'm honest, the reason why it has 3 pots and two switches is because it came with 5 holes in the body for controls...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring_n.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	32736
    Last edited by JimC; 15-11-2019 at 10:12 PM.

This is going to be a dumb question, I think.... The lower switch looks like it is a two throw, three pole switch... Is that right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4. Liked by: JimC

Yes indeed, three pole. Sorta fortuitous. I didn't need 3 pole for my original circuit, but the source only had one pole and 3 pole in stock of the design I wanted.

Looks like it will work. You probably knew that but I always post mine to see what grave errors I have made.

Curious why you want the phase switching?

The only piece of advice I have is to try it and see if you like it before putting it in. This wiring harness is a bear to install. I tested both of mine first and inn both cases testing resulted in using different caps than I thought I would use. In both cases have also wondered if I should have done a little more testing.

The first has a weird Dano harness...and I am wondering about the pot values. In the case of the recent one, I might have tried treble bleeds...

If these harnesses were on a Jazz bass I might open it up and experiment a little more. On an ES my unhappiness would need to bend toward clinical depression to mess with in now that it's installed and working. I actually ended up soldering a ground wire that had come loose through the F-holes rather than take it out again. My fingers hurt from weird positions I put them in. I kept hoping that my mom was wrong and that my face would not stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Curious why you want the phase switching?
    Well, there are two answers.

The first is that I have the phase switch on my Jazz bass, and I like the options it gives. Not with both pickups flat out, but with one pickup on full and the other backed off a fair bit there are some interesting and unusual sounds.

The second is that I want standard Jazz bass controls - 2 vol and a tone in a row, which leaves me with two more holes I need to fill with something. I've never found much use for pickup switching on my bass - I don't do solos and stuff, so wanted something else to fill the holes.
    My original plan was a coil tap on the humbucking bridge pickup and the phase on a single coil neck pickup, but after I stuffed up the Maxon humbucker I ordered a pair of budget humbuckers. So what I've gone for is a setup that will deliver both humbuckers as a default, and maybe there'll be something different and useful with the options. Or they might end up just cosmetic in practice!
    A nice thing about this - I hope - is that many of the variations I can think of at the moment are on the three pole switch. So I hope I'll just be able to hook that out without disturbing the rest if I want to try other stuff.
    Last edited by JimC; 16-11-2019 at 05:51 AM.

That all makes sense.

The latest irritation is that my new Artec humbuckers have arrived, but are not standard size: they are decidedly narrow. So the cream pickup rings I have carefully shaped so they are the right thickness and curvature for the guitar are of very limited value...

I am traveling at the moment so I can't take a better pic. But maybe there is a way to save your work...

FWIW the black that you see around the cream bobbins is a spacer that I made. I did it with a router to round the corners, but that might be overkill if your pups are a more normal shape. You could do this with an exacto knife or box cutter and maybe a dremmel or sandpaper to clean up anything that needs it.

I made the spacers from hotel card keys that I spray painted black. The material is strong and thin, and the cards are just a bit larger than a pup ring, so relatively easy to cut down.

One day I will catalog the uses I make of these little cards. Remarkably usefulName:  IMG_20191102_202958__01-529x1482__01.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  14.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    FWIW the black that you see around the cream bobbins is a spacer that I made.
    Interesting. I thought of and immediately rejected the idea of a white spacer, or any attempt to match the cream, but a black one might look more designed. I shall certainly add that to the options I'm considering, thank you.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast