Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MBM-1F - Oops! All Switches

I'd certainly wire as much out of the cavity as possible on a template. Far easier.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    That's a huge wiring job... Is it worth prototyping it up and seeing what's useful and what isn't? Something I did once with my Telecaster was to build a sort of external control cavity out of plastic card, and wire options into that and see what combinations I liked and didn't. It just screwed into the standard holes. Having it external meant it was much easier to wire up and much less hassle to try things. Also I didn't try to wire all the options up at once, just tried one kind of control at a time to see how I liked it. With my standard of soldering etc it would have been a nightmare trying to debug the entire lot. I also had a bit of tag board in there with major components on to make connecting and disconnecting easier...

'course if your eyes and soldering are better than mine it maybe that its no big deal to do all that in place - if so, carry on!
    Cool, but that's just not the sort of project that this is. I WANT the over-the-top wiring to challenge myself and to go with the pickups. I've already done the wiring diagrams, and have run it past others to check it should work.

Plus, probably a bit late to drop some of the switching when I've already cut the holes for 5 extra switches in, I'd say.

Fair dos. Enjoy doing it!
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3