Thread: EX5 Humbuckers - wiring and connections to pots?

Question EX5 Humbuckers - wiring and connections to pots?

Hi,

I have an EX5 kit with the two humbuckers, 2x B500K and 1x A500K. The humbuckers have effectively three wires coming out:

1. Red & white twisted and soldered together at the end
    2. Green & shield, also soldered together
    3. Simple black

The PDF for wiring is apparently this: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...pot%202017.pdf - it says EX5 on the link, not on the actual page.

and frankly I'm in the dark, can't make head nor tail of it, nothing seems to match up. Can someone offer a clear guide to what goes where please? Soldering iron primed and ready to go...

Thanks!

Steve

The diagrams were created when the stock pickups were only two-wire, but the various factories have started shipping 4/5 wire pickups. Normally, the following is the current configuration:
    Black = hot
    Red + white = series link between coils (leave them joined and just insulate the ends if you're not coil splitting)
    Green + bare = ground (and shield)

This diagram matches up with your kit, albeit with a different style of pickup, it is the correct layout for your controls. In your case, Black is your ‘hot’ and connects to the pot lug, Green & Bare are ground & shield and connect to the back of the pot, and just insulate the tip of the Red & White combo so it can’t short.

Make sense?

Scott.

3. Liked by: supercollider

Unhappy

EDIT: I just realised I missed the Black lead mentioned in the OP, sorry! WeirdBits got it right.

I've deleted my post due to my silliness...
    Last edited by McCreed; 29-09-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

5. Liked by: supercollider

D'oh!!!! Too slow! WeirdBits beat me to it!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

7. Liked by: supercollider

Cool

That is legendary and wonderful, thank you both. I'll post images when it's built...

Steve

If you're interested, some photos on post #7 in this thread: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=5261

Kudos to WeirdBits & McCreed above, chaps, you got this one over the line & I am forever thankful.