Thread: Finishing Engineered Rosewood

Finishing Engineered Rosewood

Are there any thoughts on this (other than that the stuff isn't very satisfactory!). I've kinda acquired a barely started ESB4 kit which has got one of those fingerboards, and its quite obvious that the stuff is picking up every little bit of fluff going, and really badly needs sealing, unconventional though it might be.

My background is boat building rather than guitars, and I have some very low viscosity epoxy sealing primer, and I was wondering whether it might be worth using that to seal the surface and consolidate the loose fibres. Is there any experience with that sort of concept?

Jim C

Watching, I have one on order.
    From what I have read, you can oil it if you want to, it is dryer than the real thing & will suck up the oil.

I swiped this off another site.
    If you flood a drying oil or other finish that dries and hardens onto the board, some of it will likely get under the frets and make them harder to remove cleanly down the road when it's time to re-fret or defret.

So applying the finish sparingly and carefully is important, regardless of what finish it is.
    Cliff

Having checked out my sealing primer its way beyond its expiry date, so we'll drop that idea!

Iíve only done one guitar with an engineered rosewood fingerboard.
    1) You do need to sand the fingerboard. Iím not talking 80 grit, but probably 240 grit and up. Basically polishing the fingerboard.
    2) Oil the fingerboard heavily with your fingerboard oil of choice before you mask it for finishing or doing fretwork and use low tack masking tape. Others have had tear outs from the board when removing masking tape, but I found this method meant the tape didnít really stick to the front of the fingerboard where the issues will be.
    Current:
    AST-1FB

Completed:
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

5. Liked by: JimC