Thread: New guy in the north of Australia.

New guy in the north of Australia.

Retired tradie, always loved guitars, never became a good muso but still enjoy what I do. Planning on building a telecaster as a start, would like it to be as close to mid 60s as possible. Looking for hints tips or any advice. Located near Townsville.
    Respectfully Kevin

Welcome! I'm quite new as well and also building a Telecaster (thin line). Best advice I can share is to go slowly. When something goes wrong the knee jerk reaction might be to try to fix it quickly. I find that I do a better job if I walk away and come back to it tomorrow.

Welcome Kevinbigy.
    Tele is a great kit to start with. Depending on what your previous trade was, I'm sure you'll find that experience will cross over into the build at some point. Measure twice, cut once applies to anything!
    Plenty of help here in the forums. Just ask and someone will have answer for you.

Have you ordered your kit yet? Whatcha gettin'?

Cheers,
    Mick
    (down Bris Vegas way)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

G'day. I'm about 4 hours north of you in the hills on the Tablelands.
    Cliff

Welcome Kevin. As mentioned patience is you friend when guitar building.

Sometimes the guitar has different plans than you and you have to be flexible enough to change your plans to suit how to wood is reacting to colour or type of finish.

Also be aware that humidity can effect your finish. It’s better to pick the warm and dry days, especially for clear coats.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Sometimes the guitar has different plans than you and you have to be flexible enough to change your plans
    WHAT FRETWORN SAID times a zillion. Well stated, sir. I sometimes start with one idea, and then end up 100% different in execution. In fact, the one all my guitar friends go "wow - that's really cool" - I never ever would have thought doing that way.... but it is also my favorite.