Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: GST-1 second build

So I have about 17 thin coats of wipe on now - it’s looking fairly streaky, however does have quite a nice gloss on it. Eventually I would like to cut this back to get a fairly glossy finish. While I know results may vary with wipe on poly but saying that any tips on how many coats before I start the finishing process.

It must be ready for a wet sand by now. 1200 grit, but take care. Half a dozen or so more coats, 1500 wet sand. Probably repeat half a dozen coats and 1500. Half a dozen 2000 wet sand. Repeat. Or something like that.

Hi All,

Have around 20 coats of poly on right now. Did a quick “level” sand with some 400 grit sand paper and still seem to have some considerable orange peel on this guitar.

I want to slowly start to get it a little flatter before I finish sand the guitar. So I’m thinking about 10 or so more coats and then repeat the process with some 400 grit or 600 Grit. I did start to follow DarkMarks advise with the 1200 grit but it didn’t achieve much in regards to leveling.

Open to thoughts on this

If you've got orange peel, then you need to keep sanding. And I'd use 240 grit until all the pits have gone and there aren't any bright dots showing when held up to the light at a shallow angle. Like any sanding process, if you aren't getting rid of the marks with what you are using, you need to go coarser.

Thanks Simon,

Great advise as always!!! I wanted to add a few more coats to ensure that I don’t sand through to fabric.

I will probably add a few more coats and follow your advise!

So have around 35 coats on this now and done a far amount of sanding. Still seems to be lots of orange peel (dimples) on the finish.

What’s the best method to use with wipe on poly to level this out? I did sand quite a lot and sanded through in one small spot so feel I need to build up more coats and then hit it again. Thinking maybe 20 coats(ish). Open to feedback on the best way to get this flat

Hey FCD.
    I'm having trouble understanding how you're getting orange peel with a wipe-on finish.
    Orange peel is typically a side effect of spraying (for a number of reasons).
    You can get swirls or lines from wipe-on (just like brush marks when using a brush) but I've never seen orange peel.

Can you elaborate on your application technique and what products you're using?

I can't imagine getting sand-through with 35 coats. I've never done that many coats (maybe 24 or 5 max) and never had sand-through. I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to understand what's happening and how we can help.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hey McCreed,

Orange peel may be a bad name for it / let’s call it dimples - it basically low spots within the finish. In may have been something to do with the fabric or the glue. I sanded fairly aggressively to try and flatten out the finish and get rid of the dimples. Hopefully the attached photo helps

My process is fairly simple - wipe on with a cotton patch folded over - thin coats. Same application as my first build which is totally flat and was easy to level
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEFC9E5D-29E8-4314-8AB5-DFFFB0D7B413.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	33957  
    Last edited by FCD; 29-02-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Ah, I see what you mean now.
    Yeah, those dimples look pretty deep, almost like a bubble that formed and broke.

How extensive is it? Does it appear all over?
    I only ask because if it's just a few small areas, maybe you could do drop-fills with CA, then level them out and polish.

There a few good how-to videos out there on drop-filling. Hope you find something that works for you.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

You could also try drop-filling with thinned poly, though thin CA would be quicker. The poly's surface tension means it follows the contours of what's beneath it, it doesn't just sit and fill-in the hollows unless it's really, really thinned down. I know you're afraid of sand-through, but sanding back a large amount is really the best way to remove the dimples. I'd wait a few days after applying your last coat and then start sanding. Otherwise you can just build-up a deeper and deeper finish and never ever get rid of the dimples if you just keep applying more finish.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast