Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: GST-1 second build

I hear you McCreed - I can’t even play guitar and I am onto my second build

Refinished back photo - happy with the placement of the fabric and no level issues in the fabric even after pulling off the first attempt.

Epoxy cured and no real orange peel to speak of after a little work with sanding etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E969E975-C561-4ADE-9E4D-173D87C263B3.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	615.2 KB 
ID:	32404  

Cool!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Awesome!
    @FCD: I was wondering how you are connecting the front and the back patch on the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Awesome!
    @FCD: I was wondering how you are connecting the front and the back patch on the sides?
    I am going to try and blend in then sides with the front and back with some paint. I will put in a small burst on the front and back. Due to the colour of the fabric black will be the colour of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FCD View Post
    I am going to try and blend in then sides with the front and back with some paint. I will put in a small burst on the front and back. Due to the colour of the fabric black will be the colour of choice.
    Sounds like a good plan, i have gone a similar route, but i used a slightly raised binding to dam the epoxy on the top of the guitar, and done black sides with a yellow to red burst on the back. Can't wait to see how you go.

Sounds great troubadour,

Great thing is there are so many ways to do this. To be fair I probably won’t end up with a flawless finish as I am adding skills to this build that I simply am experimenting with and have never tried. For me it’s not about it looking shop finished anyway but know this is something that would put others off. Otherwise I would have picked a simpler finish.

Quote Originally Posted by FCD View Post
    Sounds great troubadour,

Great thing is there are so many ways to do this. To be fair I probably won’t end up with a flawless finish as I am adding skills to this build that I simply am experimenting with and have never tried. For me it’s not about it looking shop finished anyway but know this is something that would put others off. Otherwise I would have picked a simpler finish.
    Completely agree, there are always small bits that you know aren't 100 perfect, but the instrument become uniquely yours and something you couldn't buy anywhere else.

Hi All,

Applied a few coats of black acrylic paint to the sides, need to burst in some black onto the front and back and if I have time this weekend will post some pic’s.

Starting to think about how to finish/seal this with a gloss from a can. What would be the “best” option over acrylic paint? How long will I need to wait after the final black layer is on?

A very thin burst added as I wanted to ensure that as much of the fabric will be seen once the pickguard is on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	217E6031-C1BE-43C0-8442-491CB0E01705.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	32515  

11. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast