Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: GST-1 second build

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Well growing up is highly overrated, I love it!

Someone did an Asian, lely/jasmin pattern recently, turned out great! Can't wait to see yours.
    The other option was a floral design only my mother-in-law would use

Hi All,

Some small progress made with the bonding the fabric to the wood. I did this to the front and back of the guitar, however, there seems to be a problem with the back of the guitar. Main issue is that I seems to have layed the epoxy on a little to heavy on the back of the guitar. Due to the very cold weather in Victoria it took a few days to dry and seems to have much more “orange peel” than the front. It also has a little more or a “milky colour” to it. I will most likely do the back again as fabric placement could have been better and don’t want to spend a huge time trying to sand out the orange peel only to cut into the fabric.

The front turned out much flatter and almost no orange peel to speak of. I cut out the fabric front and am happy with the fabric placement and general look of the fabric on the guitar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59FBA320-AA01-42A6-A81F-85E8F88D13A7.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	32356  
    Last edited by FCD; 02-10-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Looks good FCD.
    I think that's quite a bold method for only a 2nd build. I tend to be too traditional, but maybe one day I'll see a fabric that just says "guitar" to me!

Forum member Kac did a lovely fabric job on his tele. I'm sure he'd have good advice for you during your project.
    Here's a link to his build diary: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=9583

Hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Looks good FCD.
    I think that's quite a bold method for only a 2nd build. I tend to be too traditional, but maybe one day I'll see a fabric that just says "guitar" to me!

Forum member Kac did a lovely fabric job on his tele. I'm sure he'd have good advice for you during your project.
    Here's a link to his build diary: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=9583

Hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him
    Thanks for the link . Any help is welcome at this point in time. As in my first build I will try and go slow and if worse comes to worse I can sand the fabric off and finish it in a different style

Hey FCD,
    That looks great! I really dig that pattern on the guitar.

Epoxy can be tricky to work with.
    The epoxy rules I abide by are:
    1.1 Safety ;-)
    1.2 Temp: always above 18C during lamination. always laminate on a declining temp to prevent air bubbles. If resin is to milky or thick, heat it up slightly in a tub with warm water. The higher viscosity will also prevent orange peel effect as it runs better.
    2. Clean oil free surfaces otherwise you are looking at fisheye's.
    3. only apply to a rough sanded surface to achieve good mechanical bonding.
    4. Moleculair bonding is stronger and best achieved within 24 to 36hrs after coats as resin is still curing.
    5. Mixing ratio's preferably based on weight. so you can be accurate and get the best curing.

I was wondering how you where going to redo the back?

Good luck!
    Am keen to see how she's going to turn out.

Thanks Rolf,

I actually just pulled the fabric right off (although it did take some brute force) and I did get some wood tear out, however, nothing that sanding would not fix. I probably did this when it was to cold.

I have tried it again with better fabric placement and a thinner layer of epoxy. Will update some photos on the weekend. Thanks for the advice - some of this I already knew and some would have been help the first time

Wow, so "lucky" you got that of clean!
    Looking forward to the pictures :-)

Hi All,

Did some re-wiring today on the control. Ended up adding a mini toggle switch to enable the 7 option mod to the get 2 additional tonal topics including all 3 pickups together and neck and bridge (Tele style) as well. In addition to that I added a treble bleed circuit to the volume control. I also re-wired the tone controls so middle and neck share one and the bridge has the 2nd tone control. All very easy mods really using the supplied electronic pots and switch.

I am hoping to maximise flexibility with the ST style guitar. I used the basic info from here:

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...?t=9787&page=2

Thanks for your help gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Wow, so "lucky" you got that of clean!
    Looking forward to the pictures :-)
    I wouldn’t say clean - but clean enough. Will post a picture of the back tomorrow with the fabric on it.

Good on ya FCD. The treble bleed and bridge tone mod are standard in all my strat builds.
    My newest one (beginning next week) will also feature the 7-sound mod but I am also going to wire it with Leo Fender's PTB tone circuit instead of the standard scheme.

Unfortunately (???) this will be a non-PBG build, but I'm pretty sure the next one will be!

This is a sickness I tells ya... I'm already planning another build before I even start the one I have parts for!!!
    I think I may need help!
    Last edited by McCreed; 06-10-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast