#002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Hi All,

After having a look at finish options for my body I have come across this product. This will be the first time that I am using a spray can and obviously there will be a learning curve. However, does anyone have a method that works for them when applying this or similar product? Or is there a comprehensive post detailing a method?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	932A2503-FE85-42F8-B8C5-74234FAE3D15.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	32547  

Hey FCD,
    I believe it was Sonic who advised me to get this product, haven't started with the clear coat yet. I read different stories about the how to apply everywhere. I think I am going with applying thin coats twice a day and a light sand after coats, but this can all change if it does not go to plan :-).

Hi All,

Completed the fret level on my neck today. Might need to have a bit of a redo as I am not 100% happy with the outcome. Frets all over the place so I actually had some that flattened out fairly badly and dont know if I have them in a nice enough dome. Anyway will mull it over and may even see how it plays and do a redo after the guitar is together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60E066B0-815A-48EA-AD1F-87556FF93B35.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	447.3 KB 
ID:	32600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D16C0C1E-0611-4D3D-AF28-EA9719825B55.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	32601  
    Last edited by FCD; 27-10-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FCD View Post
    Hi All,

After having a look at finish options for my body I have come across this product. This will be the first time that I am using a spray can and obviously there will be a learning curve. However, does anyone have a method that works for them when applying this or similar product? Or is there a comprehensive post detailing a method?
    Hi their mate that will work fine I did a walk through how to do an acrylic lacquer finish you can find it in the link with some advice what to do from start to finish with a spray can over paint, dyes, stains or plain old clear over just wood page 4

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...hlight=Phrozin
    Last edited by phrozin; 29-10-2019 at 11:09 PM.

I think I am going with applying thin coats twice a day and a light sand after coats, but this can all change if it does not go to plan :-).
    Update:
    Went with ca. 7 applications, where I went over the guitar twice. Sprayed the sides first, then had one side facing up gave that a coat. waited for about 15mins, turned her around and gave the otherside a coat. Repeated this every 1/2 hr to hour till I had about 7 coats.
    I lightly sanded (400 grit) the headstock back yesterday, before giving it another couple of coats and the result is already stunning! For the body I need another can, haha.

Thanks for the share on your method Phrozin. Do you do all 15 coats in day?

Is this the standard amount the most people use here?

FCD,
    re: Septone Ac Laq, that is my my preferred rattle can clear coat (I think Sonic Mountain's also).

I like it better than the Duplicoclor clear, but the Duplicolor base coats are fine IME.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I have had nothing but trouble with duplicolor. Of course it is very humid where I am....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FCD View Post
    Thanks for the share on your method Phrozin. Do you do all 15 coats in day?

Is this the standard amount the most people use here?
    You can if the weathers warm I usually do but it's really up to what you feel comfortable doing, just remember to allow for Flash off between your coats just take your time its not a race you should end up with a decent axe, have a bit of a look through I usually post what I did for different ones, I don't post much so if you get stuck or need to know something just pm me and ill try help you out 😎

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast