Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ES-Jazz bass hybrid build

Pretty happy, yeah. Got two of the four steps completed on setup. Will need to file the nut a little...but it's close and actually playable now. Looks pretty good. Starting to feel pretty good (really like the feel of the J neck)... If it sounds as good I'll be ecstatic ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. Liked by: fender3x

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice. It has a very '60s vibe to it.
    That was the idea. I really love those old two-tone cars with lots of chrome from the 50s and 60s. But this feels like it just evolved on its own. The pickups, by coincidence had cream bobbins. Every other choice was either to compensate for a problem or to go with a previous choice.

Finally finished! It fought me until the very end. Last problem was that a chunk of wood I had glued against the center block was just wide enough to keep the jack from fitting. Fortunately this was fixable by using a thin chisel through to hole.

It sounds great! The pickup in the mudbucker position is nice and dark, but not muddy. The one in the middle position is very p-bass like. It has four distinct humbucking settings--the fourth is when both single coils are engaged.

Single coil sounds are good, but there's a little buzz. But in any humbucking setting it's dead quiet. I used shielded cable in the wiring harness and that may have helped.

Thanks to all who provided advice, counsel and moral support! I am very grateful for all of your help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191102_202958__01-529x1482.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	32652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191102_202924__01-425x1468.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	32653

Seems reasonably well balanced. I think the hipshot ultralight tuners may help with that. Weighs in at 3.45 Kg., Which my back will like ;-)

Very nice indeed. Really glad it all came together for you.

The 'mudbucker' position is only really muddy if you have a Gibson 'mudbucker' pickup. It had/has a very high inductance that moves the resonant peak of the pickup well down into the mids, with almost no treble. Otherwise the position will pick up a lot more of the first and second harmonics than a bridge pickup will, but there will still be all the higher harmonics present.

Thanks, Simon. This project has benefitted quite a lot from you suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The 'mudbucker' position is only really muddy if you have a Gibson 'mudbucker' pickup. It had/has a very high inductance that moves the resonant peak of the pickup well down into the mids, with almost no treble. Otherwise the position will pick up a lot more of the first and second harmonics than a bridge pickup will, but there will still be all the higher harmonics present.
    That seems right on all counts. My first bass is the only one that I have ever had with an actual mudbucker. It was single pickup Epiphone Newport. It was a very high quality bass construction-wise, but it only had one sound. My next bass was a '75 Precision, bought in '78 which I have had ever since. I have avoided pickups in that location ever since. We'll have to see how it does in a mix, but I can totally see soloing the neck pickup, the coils of which are right where the 22nd and 23rd frets would be.

These might be a very good replacement for the PB stock pups that come with ESB-4 basses. They are a drop in replacement for a standard humbucker, but with wider rails for bass spacing. Of course you have to find them, or convince one of the Bill Lawrence companies to reissue them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3