Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 30" Baritone Conversion Necks

30" Baritone Conversion Necks

@mods if this is in the wrong place pls move.

I have a loaded squier strat body I was hoping to get a baritone conversion neck for and was wondering if the PBG 30" necks would be an appropriate drop in?

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks 😁

Working on this now with the 30" into a loaded generic strat body. Having major intonation probs. The neck slotted in nicely and looks like it's sitting well. I'm working my way through truss rod adjustments. Seems like I have the saddles as far back as they go and can't get it to intonate. I'm wondering whether I'll need to move the bridge back ?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    So what measurement are you getting from the inside edge of the nut to the mid point of bridge saddle adjustment?

Looking at the pics of the 30" necks, I don't believe they are suitable at all for mounting on a standard body without moving the bridge position by a fair bit. Which on a Strat with pre-routed trem holes, is going to be impossible.

Unless the pictures are wrong (and I don't think they are as the text also states the number of frets as 21), then they are simply scaled-up versions of a standard neck, which means that the bridge has to move back significantly. To fit a standard guitar body, the neck needs to be longer, as well have increased fret to fret distance if the bridge is to remain in the same place. So conversion necks normally need to have more frets fitted to fill the extra space required. A Warmoth 28-5/8" Baritone conversion neck has 24 frets, so a 30" scale neck would either need 25 or 26 frets, or a much larger area of unfretted neck up past the 24th fret.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks...itoneNeck.aspx

I'm afraid I really think that you'll have to ask for your money back, as they are not suitable for PBG ST or TL style kits as conversion necks, they are only any use for fitting on bodies custom made for those necks.

I'll drop Adam an email about the necks in general.

I have been conversing with Adam and can confirm that there are issues with the current batch of 27" and 30" baritone necks. Whilst correctly scaled in terms of fret position, they are too short overall for 'conversion' necks that will work with a standard body (as I detailed above). He asks that you contact him for a refund.

The necks have now been removed from the PBG shop until conversion necks suitable for use with standard bodies can be provided by the factory.

..... I can see one of the 'dud's being fun to build a semi scratch with.

That is disappointing, but probably better that it's been caught.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

The necks are fine for scratchbuilds, or even for say a TL-1H where you can easily move the bridge back a bit. About 0.5" for the 27" neck and 1.5" for the 30" neck. But you can't do that easily with a standard Tele bridge because of the pickup rout, or a Strat trem bridge because of the trem rout. Much filling and re-routing required.

On the right guitar, they're fine. The JZ-6 baritone has the same length 30" neck, but the body is purpose-designed to match it, so there are no intonation issues with it.

Adam will do some double checking, then contact the factory and see what can be done. Hopefully he'll be able to get some correct length conversion necks in stock.

Do you know if there are any of the tele 27" baritone necks still in stock? I have a tele body that doesn't have any bridge holes drilled yet that I'd like to use a baritone neck on.
    Last edited by smohekey; 20-12-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Best to email Adam directly, he'll probably be able to sort you out.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks, I've done just that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast