Thread: Wiring passive and active combined

Wiring passive and active combined

Hi All, been awhile since i have been on here.

Is it at all possible to wiring two pickups...one EMG active along with a passive kit pick up ? With 4 pots (2 for each...1 tone and one volume for each pickup). If so, would i just wire it up normally as i would for passive (basically connect the active harness to the passive harness and vice versa) ? If not, any diagrams would be much appreciated if its doable.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I think you should be able to wire them up exactly as in their respective diagrams. Attach the leads that to to the jack to each other (and the jack). On the passive circuit, I think you'll need to wire it "independent" with the "hot" pickup lead to the center post of the volume pot, and the left post lead to the switch, or to the jack if you don't have a switch. Not sure about this. May be a weirdbits question ;-)

A lot of active systems turn the active circuit on and off with the jack (on when you plug in, off when unplugged). They do this with a stereo (TRS; tip-ring-sleeve) jack. If your EMG's uses a jack like this, make sure you attach the passive circuit lead to tip of the jack. The "ring" post is used to ground the battery if you are not using a switch.

I used to own a Kramer bass with an active EMG P-bass pickup and a passive J-bass pickup. So it is possible, but I don’t know how.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thank you kuanjb, fender3x, Fretworn for your advice, very much appreciated. I kept it simple and and installed 2 passive and 2 active pots with a pre amp for 1 passive and 1 active pickup in my TB-5 Bass project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70300195_668025813694304_5561187971996057600_n.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	32359

Looks very cool

Nice shou sugi ban finish there. I'm currently doing one of those myself which I haven't posted a thread for yet.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk