Thread: GS-2Z First Build

GS-2Z First Build

Kit arrived, found neck and pocket needed slight adjustment. Checked neck and string alignment all good. Had to ease out switch hole otherwise all items fit correctly.

Build Plan
    Body
    Sand body then fill grain on body sides and back with Timber Mate and paint black, then gloss with wipe on Poly and buff to a gloss finish.
    Body top veneer, light sand as it felt rough then I intend to coat with dewaxed shellac and gloss with wipe on poly and buff to a full gloss finish.
    Neck
    Sand and paint black then apply several coats of Tru oil and buff to a satin finish.

I am keen to have the Zebra veneer as is and hope the shellac will bring out the pattern without changing the colour. I am still not 100% sure about the veneer being full gloss or should it be a satin gloss.

Will post photos on next post in the meantime I look forward to any comments or suggestions.
    Jim

Sounds like an interesting build. Great to have such a though out plan. Just a quick one - why not use the wipe on poly on the neck too?
    Last edited by FCD; 30-09-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Others have mentioned about gloss not being as good for faster hand movements, not that would really be a problem at my level of skill.
    I am now thinking of either using satin wipe on poly or sanding back the gloss poly to a satin finish. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My New Build2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	487.2 KB 
ID:	32343

That guitar looks amazing Jimneil, is this what you are after?

Quote Originally Posted by jimneil View Post
    Others have mentioned about gloss not being as good for faster hand movements, not that would really be a problem at my level of skill.
    I am now thinking of either using satin wipe on poly or sanding back the gloss poly to a satin finish. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My New Build2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	487.2 KB 
ID:	32343
    I think the option with the wipe on poly and a high grit sand paper would work to achieve a satin finish would be worth a try. That way you don’t end up with a heap of different products and finishing methods

Yes I don't want to change the colour, except to highlight it with the gloss finish

Sounds like a plan.
    I am into the grain fill stage, filled once and sanded off then filled second time, yet to sand off the second coat.
    I have painted a sample piece of wood black with two coats of wipe on poly six hours between coats will do about six coats and if all turns out OK I will be really happy!!!
    Not sure whether to glue in neck before painting or paint separately?