Thread: saw dust allergy

saw dust allergy

I've discovered the hard way that I'm allergic to sawdust - itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy skin. I never had this problem when I was younger but now I'm allergic to a lot of things.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and advice on dealing with it. I've a hunch I'll just have to grin and bear it if I want to get this finished.

Quote Originally Posted by TZK321 View Post
    I've discovered the hard way that I'm allergic to sawdust - itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy skin. I never had this problem when I was younger but now I'm allergic to a lot of things.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and advice on dealing with it. I've a hunch I'll just have to grin and bear it if I want to get this finished.
    I had issues with 'Ash'. Got some in my eye and it was irritated for days.

cheers, Mark.

I do not have the issues with saw dust, but when using Epoxy I try to minimize contact.
    They do have full masks (3M) with different filters. I have tried seperated goggles and respirators but they do not provide a comfortable fit together.

I do not like the detachement from my work a full mask creates, but even less the thought of intoxicating myself when doing the things I love.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Bummer. I'm definitely more susceptible to irritation that I was when I was younger. I put it down to my many years of chemical exposure and lax safety standards.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Good points raised here. I am increasingly careful as I see friends developing cancer that may have come partly from exposure. It does not help that my wife is an environmental engineer who used to review enviro compliance with furniture makers.

I do all my sawing and sanding with a dust mask, and try to stay with water based finishes because of the toxicity. The allergy might be to a kind of wood, like ash. It could also be to chemicals that virtually all wood from a lumber yard is treated with. Or you could just be bothered by the particulates.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk