Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hey all, my first go at this

Kit arrived today, looks good, every thing fits. A corner of the neck is missing though and the wood is split. Is anyone able to tell me if this is important? Is it something I need to have replaced, or deal with myself? Cheers all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190910_084311_HDR.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	32128

Name:	IMG_20190910_100519_HDR.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	32129

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hmm. That's not ideal, it's had a tear out when they've routed it, which has split the neck.

You could glue and clamp the crack and then tidy up the corner. It will be hidden in the pocket and shouldn't cause any issues. That said, I'd probably send a pic to Adam, I don't think he'd be happy with it arriving like that.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Hmm. That's not ideal, it's had a tear out when they've routed it, which has split the neck.

You could glue and clamp the crack and then tidy up the corner. It will be hidden in the pocket and shouldn't cause any issues. That said, I'd probably send a pic to Adam, I don't think he'd be happy with it arriving like that.
    Alright, Iv'e sent him an email with the pic, i'm missing the copper shielding tape too lol

Thumbs up

I've found another issue, at first I thought it was a weird grain line, but no. Two of the top pieces of the body have been cut off at some point and glued back on. Really disappointed in the quality of Pit Bull guitars.

Name:	IMG_20190910_124816_HDR.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	32131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190910_124836_HDR.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	32132

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    That is completely normal. The body blanks are almost always several pieces glued together. You'll find that a lot of commercial guitars are made exactly the same way and it's only once you get up into much higher spec models that you get one or two piece bodies. Looking at the top shot, you've actually got a really nice grain match, it would come up well with a stain if that's the direction you want to go.

You should probably give it a wipe over with a damp cloth and have a look for glue spots before you do anything, they can be cleaned up with a soft wire brush and metho.

It is true that the kits can be a bit hit and miss at times, but they are also extremely cheap for what they are. There isn't much you can't overcome, both of the main issues you have could be sorted with a bit of tinkering. That's why we are all here. Adam is also very understanding and does his upmost to ensure customer satisfaction.

It's often said that these are not Ikea guitar kits, but its the problem solving and sorting out that really makes it your own and teaches you about the process, so don't be disheartened, we've all been there. My first build I was very unsure and also had a few things that I wasn't happy with. That is now one of my favourite guitars and has been through a couple of evolutions since it's original completion.

I hope you stick with it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Oh lol ok, I had no idea, thanks for clearing that up. Yea i'm going to stick with it, the neck damage annoys me but the fit is still snug with no wobble, so I guess i'm gonna have to deal with it somehow. Not sure how i'll finish it yet, but i'm gonna get started shaping the body. I'll start a build dairy and post in there from no on.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    Kit arrived today, looks good, every thing fits. A corner of the neck is missing though and the wood is split. Is anyone able to tell me if this is important? Is it something I need to have replaced, or deal with myself? Cheers all
    Skye - having seen the guys packing the guitars - not sure how the neck has gotten through the QA processes.

Agree with Sonic - the body joins are normal - most bodies are 3 / 4 / 5 pieces - though they have been getting some newer kits through that are advertised as 2 piece bodies. The grain match is pretty good - have seen a whole lot worse - check for any glue spots - though with a solid ash body - you should be able to get rid of them fairly easily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2