Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: TeleStrat dubious record attempt

2. Liked by: fender3x

Since joining this forum, not only have I learned many things, but this is the second Strat that really appeals to me. Leo Fender was extremely farsighted with his creations but I have always avoided the Strat with a vengeance. No reason that I can come up with, just don't like them. Yours, Sir, Is breaking my prejudices down, a fine creation indeed!
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

That's high praise, indeed! Thank you both. You know, it's funny, Impala, but I have generally felt the same way. I think that's how this ended up being a Strat with humbucking Tele electronics ;-)
    Last edited by fender3x; 19-11-2020 at 05:34 AM.

Nice!
    It's somehow strangely familiar ...

You must do some really crazy strumming if you're hitting the volume and switch regularly! You doing Townsend windmills???

FWIW, I have always been attracted to strats. They just fit like a glove.
    On the other hand (no pun intended) I used to always hit the switch on LP's on the upper bout. Different strokes etc...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I meant to say that I do love the colour, at past 60, I think it’s cool too! You say it’s ‘Bali green’ it looks a bit like ‘sea foam’ to me? I seem to recall a discussion on the merits of the ‘surfer’ colours recently but can’t for the life of me remember where

Probably only as part of a running joke about Frankie's aversion to Sea Foam Green as a body colour.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    It's somehow strangely familiar ...
    My mother used to say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" She had never had been the victim or a copyright infringement, however.

You must do some really crazy strumming if you're hitting the volume and switch regularly! You doing Townsend windmills???

FWIW, I have always been attracted to strats. They just fit like a glove.
    On the other hand (no pun intended) I used to always hit the switch on LP's on the upper bout. Different strokes etc...
    I am guessing it's you doing the windmills. Maybe that's why you and Pete switched from LPs to Strats? I am not buying that you did not intend that pun.

Quote Originally Posted by impala59 View Post
    I meant to say that I do love the colour, at past 60, I think it’s cool too! You say it’s ‘Bali green’ it looks a bit like ‘sea foam’ to me? I seem to recall a discussion on the merits of the ‘surfer’ colours recently but can’t for the life of me remember where
    Looks that way to me too, but it says "Bali Green" on the can (MTN94), and I figure that's less likely to draw the fire that Simon is referring to. Interestingly enough, I took my son to the paint store with me to choose the color. He was 11 at the time, so despite what it's detractors say, it seems quite an intergenerational color ;-)

I do love the Strat shape and the neck. There can't be many guitars that are as comfortable to wear as a Strat. The string spacing is actually wider on it than on any of my other guitars except my classical. I have big hands so that was a welcome surprise.

I am not completely sure why I wanted different pickups. All the guitar heroes from my youth seem to play Strats. Even those that didn't then, do now (e.g. Mr. Townshend), with the possible exception of Frampton. So I can't quite explain why I am more drawn to the sound of a Tele bridge pup, PAF's and P90's.

That said, there's a reason why everyone loves Fender guitars. Leo created at least four of the most iconic instruments in rock and roll, the blues and country with lots of jazz players using them as well. They have in common that they are comfortable, tough, easy to set up, relatively inexpensive to make, sound good and for almost 70 year kids have been finding them cool. If that ain't genius, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by fender3x; 19-11-2020 at 06:11 AM.

There must have been a lot more profit in a Tele or Strat than a Les Paul. Their sales price was remarkably close, but it probably took at least twice as long to make a Les Paul, what with all the inlays, the binding, the set neck, the carved top etc. US$199 for a blonde Tele and US$247 for a sunburst Les Paul Standard in 1959 (cases were extra but similar cost for both at around US$40).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    There must have been a lot more profit in a Tele or Strat than a Les Paul. Their sales price was remarkably close, but it probably took at least twice as long to make a Les Paul, what with all the inlays, the binding, the set neck, the carved top etc. US$199 for a blonde Tele and US$247 for a sunburst Les Paul Standard in 1959 (cases were extra but similar cost for both at around US$40).
    If you factor in inflation, the difference is about $430. That Tele would have cost around $1700 in today's money.

Makes a USA standard guitar a bargain by comparison.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9