Thread: Suspect wiring issue-guitar body noise coming through pickups?

Suspect wiring issue-guitar body noise coming through pickups?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and it is a great resource-thanks to all for contributing.

I have just completed my first build which was a pretty intense customised Pitbull Tele. It came up great and I'm wrapped with the result, it has tonerider pickups in it.

I have an issue though that that is obviously my fault, and I haven't experienced with my other brands name guitars.

When I play it, any percussive noise from touching the guitar body or bridge, even the strap squeaking on the strap button, is transmitted or "picked up" by the pickups in all positions and comes through the amp.

If I'm really careful with my playing I can avoid it, but its not natural and obviously something is wrong but I've double checked everything and presuming I grounded it all etc but would relay love any thoughts, suggestions or feedback on what might be causing it what I could do to make it right?

Thanks in advance, Rob.

HI Rob, i'm picking that what you have is what i have heard termed as pickups being "microphonic". From what i have read here it's either going to be a case of getting them wax potted, or going for an upgrade. Were they factory pickups?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks for the reply mate. Ok...I'll have to look into that..the pickups were factory pickups purchased with the kit as an upgrade, they are the Tonerider Hot classics?

Another thing I read recently is that ceramic capacitors (used for a tone pot or treble bleed circuit) can be microphonic.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Couple of questions:

What Tonerider pickups are they, single coil tele set, or 2 humbuckers, or one of each?

Does one pickup do it, or both?

If they're a single coil tele set, is it just the neck pickup that's microphonic?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Cheers McCreed, it was the Tonerider Hot classics single coil set. I just double checked and its only the bridge single coil that has the issue...