Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Igor needs some Sound Advice!

Igor needs some Sound Advice!

G'Day team,

I have been messing around with Experiment #2, and recording some video and audio for it.
    The results.....well not spectacular.

Essentially all I had done, was place a Rode directional mic in front of my little practice amp and run a cable back to the connection on my Canon 5D.

What I got in terms of audio, was overblown and even on clean settings, seemed to overwhelm the little Rode Mic.

I had set it on a floor stand, probably 30cm/1" from the amp, I wasn't pumping high volume but i'm thinking it is designed for directional audio probably at a greater distance than 30cm from source so perhaps that's my starting point.

I know there is a whole science and methodology behind all of this, where does one start?
    - What factors would you start looking at?
    - Should I be looking at better equipment Mic wise?
    - In terms of recording, is Garageband a valid choice (seeing as I already have it) or do I invest in something more robust?
    - Where does one fit the electrodes?

Is there a YT feed anyone can recommend that runs through stuff like this? Any good, useful advice appreciated!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Essentially all I had done, was place a Rode directional mic in front of my little practice amp and run a cable back to the connection on my Canon 5D.
    Recording the mike through to the camera?

Probably an equipment upgrade if you haven't inadvertently got the necessary already.

I used a Focusrite Solo interface with a Sennheiser MD 421 (the one they pointed at Gough during the 'kerr's kerr' speech).
    It was actually touching the speaker cloth and the gain adjusted in Sonar so that it wasn't maxing out.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13892321

Many ways to skin the cat, but this is the way I did it.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Recording the mike through to the camera?

Probably an equipment upgrade if you haven't inadvertently got the necessary already.

I used a Focusrite Solo interface with a Sennheiser MD 421 (the one they pointed at Gough during the 'kerr's kerr' speech).
    It was actually touching the speaker cloth and the gain adjusted in Sonar so that it wasn't maxing out.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13892321

Many ways to skin the cat, but this is the way I did it.

cheers, Mark.
    There is a dedicated Rode interface i found online that seems reasonably priced around similar money to the Focusrite

http://en.rode.com/ai1

Reading up I can see I'm going to need to do something in an interface if I want to go straight into GarageBand anyhow. I'll see what other options are around and look at picking one up.
    FrankenLab

You can also get good results with a Focusrite 2i2 usb audio interface and an SM58 dynamic mic, paired up with Audacity which is free, be sure to download the Lame codec and install it cause this is needed by Audacity to be able to export audio files as mp3s.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    There is a dedicated Rode interface i found online that seems reasonably priced around similar money to the Focusrite

http://en.rode.com/ai1

Reading up I can see I'm going to need to do something in an interface if I want to go straight into GarageBand anyhow. I'll see what other options are around and look at picking one up.
    Yeah you will need an interface for GB. I have a little M-Audio 2 track, the Scarletts are pretty good as well and both of those are around the $100 mark.

Unless you mic an amp into GB it won't give a really 'true' representation of the guitar tone. It's absolutely unreal at modelling and can make even a garbage guitar sound great when you line in the instrument.

To get an accurate recording you can just do a plain track with no effects on it and from a mic through the interface. That's what I normally do for my crappy demos, but my mic is extra shitty so I end up with some of the issues you have if I have the gain up or any distortion effects. A decent directional mic and playing around with placement will yield good results though.

For someone messing around on their own GB is an absolute god send.

I'm a big fan of it and have a lot of experience, I've been using it since v 1.0. So .. any Q's ask away.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    For someone messing around on their own GB is an absolute god send.

I'm a big fan of it and have a lot of experience, I've been using it since v 1.0. So .. any Q's ask away.
    Sweet, i think it's likely the best way forward for me at the moment. I'm looking at the Rode AI and the Yamaha AG03 at the moment, but not likely to do anything for a wee while
    FrankenLab

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    The Yamaha is total overkill. Really you just need to be able to set the line volume, so my pick there would be the Rode.

Lots of people use these:

https://focusrite.com/scarlett

This is what I have:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/m-audio/m-...erface/330033/

The multi track is good because I could put vocals and guitar in and record them simultaneously if I wanted to, but 99% of the time I just use the one input and layer up my tracks.

With the virtual drummer it is so easy to set up decent back tracks that you can just loop and play over for ever.
    Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 03-09-2019 at 04:01 AM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Best results I've ever gotten so far with a miced-up guitar amp, was when I miced up my Super Twin amp stack with my Scarlett CM25 condenser mic which was plugged into my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, I recorded it into FL Studio as a playlist audio clip.

I bought myself one of those Scarlett Studio packages, I think from memory it cost me around $350.00 or so, but definitely worth the money, the headphones are great sounding, as is the CM25 condenser mic you get in the pack, you also get some downloadable Daw software with it too, as well as some plugins.

The Scarlett 2i2 will work with pretty much any computer device that supports usb 2.0, it also works with any Daw software that supports the ASIO (Audio Streaming Input Output) protocol (if you're using a pc), or Core Audio (if you're using a Mac), Focusrite have the latest driver software for the Scarlett 2i2 ready for download from their website.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 02-09-2019 at 02:09 PM.

What's the actual rode mic you're using?

Details on mic and gain level set in your 5d would be the starting point. If it's a dedicated camera mic, then close micing an amp wouldn't be it's forte, they are designed to capture sound from a distance. You should also have a gain setting in your canon menu where you can either increase or decrease the headroom. There should be a meter on there too where you can check if your clipping into the red. Chances are you can get a decent sound with what you already have, just need to do some tweaking to how your doing it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast