Thread: Allen & Heath DP1000 Icon Series digital mixer.

Allen & Heath DP1000 Icon Series digital mixer.

Hey Everyone,

I just scored myself a second-hand Allen & Heath DP1000 Icon Series digital mixing desk from a great friend of mine, I've got it here in my studio room, haven't powered it up yet though, my friend says it has an intermittent sound issue, so I'll have to do some servicing work on it, fortunately I was able to find a user manual and two service manuals for it online.

Here's a pic of the A&H DP1000:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&H DP1000_resized.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	32057
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 01-09-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Just been doing some signal testing of the mic inputs, all of them from mic in 1-6 seem to work fine, I'm not sure about mic ins 7 and 8 though, I'm going to leave it for tomorrow and come back to it with a fresh mind, at least I know it is powering-up properly.

Clean the insert jack sockets for each channel with some contact cleaner on a jack in/out a few times. Sometimes they can oxidise and create issues

So far I have established that the DP1000 has the following possible faults:

* Stereo Headphone monitoring is not working properly, for some reason it's only providing mono monitoring.

* R Line Ins on Ch 7 and Ch 8 are working, L Line Ins only work if the Mono button for Ch 7, or Ch 8 are pressed in.

* The XLR Mic Ins on Ch 7 and 8 aren't working, my guess is that they aren't getting 48V Phantom Powering when the 48V Phantom Power button is pressed in ( I verified this yesterday using one of my Scarlett CM25 condenser mics and a short XLR lead, both were known to be good).

So tomorrow, I'm going to try re-soldering all the solder joints on the inputs and see if that fixes it, if not, then I can rule-out cracked solder joints as being the cause.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 04-09-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Okay, I managed to get the bottom half of the DP1000 removed so I could have a look inside, I think I may have found-out why the DP1000 isn't working like it's supposed to, firstly there was an IDC connector plug that came out of it's socket a bit too easily, secondly I spotted two cracked solder-joints on two of the line-out sockets, looks like it might turn out to be an easy fix.

Finally managed to remove the circuit board with all the in and out sockets on it, had a look at the solder joints and found a few more cracked solder joints, one was on one of the pins of the headphone monitor out socket, that explains why I was only hearing sound from the right channel.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 05-09-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Finally managed to get the DP1000 back together and.....no display on the LCD, think I might have inadvertently burnt-out the power supplies, and, or, the LCD circuitry, might have to end up junking the DP1000.

My guess is that I might have burnt-out the +/- 15V, +5V, maybe the +48V phantom powering supply, and etc when I probably plugged-in one of the IDC connectors the wrong way round, the DP1000 is a bit of a nightmare to get back together, so it's probably easily done, especially when one of the IDC connectors can be plugged in either way, why Allen & Heath didn't use a keyed IDC for the one on the power amp board I don't know.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 08-09-2019 at 12:38 AM.