Thread: Strat/Tele pickup screws

Strat/Tele pickup screws

I want to mount a GFS Tele neck pup to a pickguard Strat-style. I wrote to GFS to ask the best way to do this and they said "the flat base is fiber so typical Strat machine screws will thread if you press hard enough."

Anyone know the size of "typical Strat machine screws"?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I want to mount a GFS Tele neck pup to a pickguard Strat-style.
    Bear in mind that a standard strat pickup is slightly larger than a tele neck pickup.
    Therefore the hole will be slightly wider too.
    I would go for a strat 'blank' and cut my own holes.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mint-3Pl...kAAOSwqhtc1NVT

cheers, Mark.

Thanks, Mark. I actually just need to get the size of the screws. I ordered a custom pickguard here:

https://tntcustomguitars.com/Build-Y...Guard_c548.htm

It's actually a Strat pickguard, but cut for Tele pickups. So, the hole is the right size for a Tele neck pup. They also put in the screw holes. So they are in the right place for a Tele neck pup. I just don't know the right screw size. Since the screw will be cutting its own threads in the fiber base, I figure it would be best to get it right the first time...but since I don't have a Strat, I am not sure what size the screws should be.

BTW, I can highly recommend TNT for custom pickguards, at least to US buyers. I have used Warmoth before. Similar price, but MUCH better customer service and more options. Way cheaper than WD Custom Pickguards. Ridiculously fast delivery. Very happy with them.

5. Liked by: fender3x

US Strat pickup mounting screws are #6-32 x 3/4".

Because the holes in a tele neck pickup are slightly smaller for body mounting, you can use a #4 (1/8") machine screw and not need to force it through. You can get the #6 through but it's best to slightly widen the hole with a drill bit (in your hand) so you don't risk tearing or splitting the fibre flatwork.

Also, what king casey said about the fit of a tele vs strat pickup hole is a consideration, particularly the difference in the distance between the mounting holes of the two.
    Last edited by McCreed; 01-09-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

7. Liked by: fender3x

OK, so try the #4-32 first. If too small #6-32.

I will also have some M4-0.7 which is what the bridge pup mounts with. Would they work just as well or would it be best to use the US sizes on the neck pup?...maybe because of the broader spacing of the threads?

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Also, what king casey said about the fit of a tele vs strat pickup hole is a consideration, particularly the difference in the distance between the mounting holes of the two.
    Hmmm...second person to give this warning. Maybe I am missing something. It looks to me like the pickguard is OK, and that the holes on the pup match with those on the pickguard. Since I don't have screws yet I used some wire to test the fit. Posting a pic. I think everything lines up, but maybe you guys are seeing something I am not?

When I ordered the pickguard I asked for it with a Tele neck pickup rout and standard pickup holes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190831_211653__01__01__01-891x1331__01.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	32045

Hmmm...second person to give this warning. Maybe I am missing something.
    I posted before your post came up explaining the custom strat pickguard. You'll be fine. (1 minute late if you look at the time stamp!)

As for the screw size to use, I think you'll be fine with #4's but the mounting hole in the pickguard for neck may be a factor for what fits best.

I have a similar guitar, but with 1 volume, 1 tone. I bought a strat pickguard blank and cut the holes myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strato Tele 15pc.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	32067

This is eerie, but I have paint to make mine the same color as yours. I even have a similar case for it.

I got #6 and #4 screws, and as you predicted, the #4's worked fine. I did not need to enlarge the holes, but would have had to for the #6's.

BTW my plan is to have just V and T pots. The middle knob is a 4 way rotary to switch humbucking and single coil modes. I thought the rotary would look more natural than micro switches. That's the plan anyway.

Thanks again!

Sounds cool! Post pics when you get it finished.
    Hard to go wrong with classic Seafoam Green too!