Thread: Newbie Nitro Finishing Q

Newbie Nitro Finishing Q

Greetings all,

I had a quick question about nitro finishing. Prepping a hollow body with binding on body and f-holes for finish. Likely going with a translucent color nitro finish with clear coats. While I will probably tape the binding while spraying the translucent color coats, is it necessary/desirable to do so for the clear coats? Is there an up or downside to clear coat over the binding?

Thanks!

I don't think it is required for your clear coats. Just make sure you thoroughly clean off the tape residue before spraying the clear. I've found it to be a very forgiving finish provided you are patient between coats. The way it melts into previous coats is fantastic.

Thanks very much for the feedback BigDaddy. I expect I'll do a wipe-down with mineral spirits after removing the tape from the binding once translucent coats are in place. Hopefully that will do the trick in removing any residue.

No worries! It's also handy to give it a blow down with compressed air (if you have the facility) between coats too.

I expect I'll do a wipe-down with mineral spirits after removing the tape from the binding once translucent coats are in place. Hopefully that will do the trick in removing any residue.
    I presume your in the US if you're using the term "mineral spirits". What we call "mineral turps" here. (also turpentine in some US & other places).

I wouldn't get mineral spirits anywhere near nitro (especially fresh nitro). It will end in tears.
    You want to use 'Naptha" (essentially lighter fluid). It's about the only solvent that's safe to use on nitrocellulose lacquer, and care should still be taken when using it.

As for clear coat over binding, that is standard practise.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I presume your in the US if you're using the term "mineral spirits". What we call "mineral turps" here. (also turpentine in some US & other places).

I wouldn't get mineral spirits anywhere near nitro (especially fresh nitro). It will end in tears.
    You want to use 'Naptha" (essentially lighter fluid). It's about the only solvent that's safe to use on nitrocellulose lacquer, and care should still be taken when using it.

How does metho go with nitro? I used a dry cloth then compressed air with my build thus far with no issues with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post

Yup in the US. I've been following folk's builds here for a couple of years now and getting ready to start one of my own in the next couple months when I can block the time.

Interesting about the Naptha and mineral spirits. I've found both referenced on the internet as safe for wipe down of nitro between coats if needed. I'll do a bit more research and if other folks have thoughts on this - I'm all ears. Good to know I go nitro over the binding. Made sense to me, but glad for the confirmation.

Cheers!

How does metho go with nitro? I used a dry cloth then compressed air with my build thus far with no issues with dust.
    I've used metho between coats of acrylic lacquer (for dust removal) without incident, but I can't attest to nitro.

Interesting about the Naptha and mineral spirits. I've found both referenced on the internet as safe for wipe down of nitro between coats if needed.
    Yeah, there is mixed opinion about the use of mineral spirits on nitro, and it doesn't help with different names for the same products in different countries adding to the confusion. (like denatured alcohol vs methylated spirits; paint thinner vs minerals spirits vs turpentine etc) And, from what I've read, not all mineral spirits are created equal by the manufacturers.

I personally would not use mineral turps (mineral spirits - US) on nitro. My "when in doubt" go-to is naptha (called Shellite in AUS).
    I've never had a bad reaction on anything I've used it on. (apart from my skin! - always wear gloves is the moral to that story!)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...