Hi all!

Got my first kit today, the AG-1F from pitbull guitars.
Excited to get cracking and have been looking at quite a lot of different forums, youtube videos and the like to get a grasp on what I've gotten myself into. I dont come with any proper experience in woodworking let alone putting together an instrument, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

So I initially wanted to grab an all mahogany SG type kit and just replicate the stereotypical Angus Young look.
However ending up wishing to get a nice flamed front in that red mahogany colour, to then have a thin black burst edge, leaving most of the front mahogany stained to reveal the flamed maple on top.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit.png 
Views:	336 
Size:	800.2 KB 
ID:	31947

Wishing to get an idea on what the stains could look like, i grabbed some Feast Watson Prooftint Interior Stain in mahogany and black. Ened up ordering some ColorTone Guitar Stain red mahogany and black as well.
After testing the Feast Watson, im happy with the look on some test basswood.

Name:	Stains.png 
Views:	366 
Size:	456.2 KB 
ID:	31948

I know to be careful with the veneer on top, the testwood ive used was 0.6mm thin like the veneer and was happily surprised that its not too easy to sand through by hand with some 240 grit when removing some ebony timbermate. Going with timbermate because i cant sand out too much of a black stain to pop the flame.

So my plan is to sand down the body and neck, cover in ebony timbermate and sand down as a pre-stain treatment to help pop the grain and flame.
Cover in mahogany stain. (not sure if i need to coat this multiple times)
Then stain the outsides black and slowly fade the black in to the mahogany. (On the test wood i used the black fairly soon after applying the mahogany when starting to fade, i feel like it helped blend the colours together in the fade. Not sure if i should wait to let the stain cure and dry properly, or if that is just before sealing).

After the colour is done, apply tru-oil, let dry, buff with 0000 steel wool, add another coat, repeat...

I do have some concerns though, the kit came in very good condition i think, and Im quite happy.
Although Im not too sure whats going on with this truss rod sticking out.

Name:	trussrod.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	594.0 KB 
ID:	31949

Also, the neck slotted in nicely, the body has a good grip on it, although when i have the bottom of the neck pushed all the way into the body, the neck pickup wouldn't fit, so i slid the neck up slightly and the pickup could fit. Im assuming i have to do some measuring from the bridge to get it in the right spot for the intonation.

Name:	Pickup wont fit.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	31950

Name:	pickup fitting neck forward.png 
Views:	319 
Size:	598.8 KB 
ID:	31951