Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First kit build - AG-1F

The mahogany + sanded black stain came out much darker on the front than expected, however i like how it turned out.
    So the original plan to try a black burst around the outside isn't going ahead! (probably a large source of mistakes doing a burst for the first time)
    I got to gluing in the neck, opted to do this before getting to the true oil, just to have a nice consistent layer.
    I was a bit nervous when gluing the neck, hoping i would get it in place without causing the pickup to not fit, and throw off the scale length, but all is good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck clamped.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	32518

Name:	Pickup fits.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	352.0 KB 
ID:	32519

Looks good. I'm going to sand most of the ebony timbermate off and stain cherry.

Good job with the neck - I'm scared of gluing it crooked

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_B View Post
    Looks good. I'm going to sand most of the ebony timbermate off and stain cherry.

Good job with the neck - I'm scared of gluing it crooked
    I found ebony timbermate easy to work with, dont do what i did and just slap it on nice and thick! Haha, spent a long time sanding...

I found the neck pocket was such a tight fit there was no other way than the way it was made. I remember reading somewhere to not sand the neck pocket and heel on the neck, as they are set up in factory to be straight.
    I stressed about accidentally gluing it in to short but all seems good.
    As a first build, gluing in was a very high pressure situation, the glue starts setting fairly quick, so not much time to adjust the position and clean off any mess.

With a pretty decent break over most of the summer... Im finally back at it!

Ive started on oiling the guitar, leaving the fretboard bare and to be conditioned later.
    Just popped on the 3rd coat of truoil, thinking i will leave it there for the neck and head and do a couple more on the body, which is starting to build up a great shine.

Name:	3rd coat tru oil front+back.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	34024

That's coming along nicely!
    You gotta be happy with with that for a first build. A set neck and veneer first time out too! Good on ya!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    That's coming along nicely!
    You gotta be happy with with that for a first build. A set neck and veneer first time out too! Good on ya!
    Thanks man!

Im certainly becoming pleased with the way its turning out, there were a few points where i thought that id completely screwed it... But yeah, no veneer would have been a bit easier and the set neck was very stressful. Need to get the rest done and string up to check if the neck was set well. In the end, i hope it ends up being more than a strangely shaped cricket bat!

...i hope it ends up being more than a strangely shaped cricket bat!
    Well you could always move to QLD and smack cane toads with it!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

So i popped on another 2 or 3 coats of truoil on the body and was pleased with the way it was looking.
    Realizing and accepting not every small imperfection wasn't going to come out, i pushed on!
    Got the wiring done, sheilded most of the guitar (1 pack from pitbull wasn't close to being enough) with the two pickup cavities being done and just needing some more to get the sides of the control cavity and the back of the backplate done.

As soon as the electronics were in and secured... i couldnt help but chuck on the strings to have a look... ITS ALIVE!!!!
    Pretty dam happy with the way its turned out. Still got a couple of things to do to completely finish it off, but just about there!!!

Name:	First string up.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	34128

Name:	First string up body.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	697.5 KB 
ID:	34129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First string up neck.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	602.2 KB 
ID:	34130

Looks great! The black hardware gives it ‘stealth mode’!
    Are you planning on doing any sort of logo on the headstock and/or truss rod cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SamSquare View Post
    Looks great! The black hardware gives it ‘stealth mode’!
    Are you planning on doing any sort of logo on the headstock and/or truss rod cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man!
    Stealthy indeed!

Not sure about a logo for the headstock; i like the bare look of it and not the most artistically creative, maybe ill look into a logo if i continue to make more
    Ive got a bone nut to pop on so im waiting for all that to drill holes for the truss cover.

Just oiled the fretboard

Name:	Fretboard oiled.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	345.2 KB 
ID:	34131

Will do holes for backplate soon, as with finishing the copper shielding when it arrives in the mail. I like the sound thats being made when its hooked up, but there is a definite humming from interference. Might be worth cleaning up the wire spaghetti a little.

Name:	Control cavity wired.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	954.9 KB 
ID:	34132

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast