Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: First build, EXM-1

  1. #1

    First build, EXM-1

    Super excited to start my first build. During the test fitting of everything I noticed a similar problem others have had with this kit. The neck heel had a bit of a curve to it. Also the end was not finished straight. After heaps of measuring and triple checking I've got that where it needs to be. Scale length checks out. Strings line up well. I'll see if I can upload some photos later as I'm on my mobile at the moment.

  2. #2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_144818.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	31935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_144731.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	31936
    Here are the photos of what I was talking about.
    The neck actually rocked in the pocket and depending on that angle the strings hit the fretboard. All good now. Can't wait to continue with the build!
    Last edited by Dwhite2369; 21-08-2019 at 10:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    713
    Well done! How'd you fix it?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    I saw some advice on another build given by frankenwashie on how to fix it. Marked a line on each side to see where to take the hump out. Also did heaps of measuring to make sure the scale length was correct when I straightened the end of the heel. Did another mock build after to check the strings cleared the fretboard and to see how well the neck sat in the pocket. Big thanks to Frankenwashie for that. I had just seen the post he made maybe a day or two before I started my build!

  5. #5
    Overlord of Music FrankenWashie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glebe, NSW
    Posts
    4,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwhite2369 View Post
    I saw some advice on another build given by frankenwashie on how to fix it. Marked a line on each side to see where to take the hump out. Also did heaps of measuring to make sure the scale length was correct when I straightened the end of the heel. Did another mock build after to check the strings cleared the fretboard and to see how well the neck sat in the pocket. Big thanks to Frankenwashie for that. I had just seen the post he made maybe a day or two before I started my build!
    You are more than welcome. The forum is here for us to help each other out, glad my inane forum ramblings actually helped someone fix something!
    FrankenLab Guitar Experiments.
    Where Common Sense hides under the bench and averts its eyes!

  6. #6
    After my second mock build I have gone through the finishing process. I burnt the surface of the guitar to give it a more brown but not black charred look. And have done multiple coats of try oil. 12 coats and letting the final coat cure. That has to be the most patience trying part! Messing with pickup ideas in my head. Will post photos later. Also toying with the idea of adding a pickguard. Very excited to continue with the build!

  7. #7
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_164221.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	360.5 KB 
ID:	32007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_164232.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	32008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_171335.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	368.0 KB 
ID:	32009
    This was after the "burning"

  8. Liked by: Barfly1959

  9. #8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190828_183417.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	32010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190828_184059.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	32011
    This is where I am now. Debating the pickguard etc. Really wishing I went for the locking tuner upgrade now!

  10. #9
    Mentor DarkMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Palmyra, WA
    Posts
    788
    Thatís turned out well. Gutsy move to buy your first kit and burn it.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Thatís turned out well. Gutsy move to buy your first kit and burn it.
    Thanks for that. I did practice on a couple pieces of mahogany first just to get an idea of how it would turn out. I wanted it a little bit darker but honestly was too scared to burn it any more than I did. Especially the neck. I was worried about the fretboard lifting so I did it very lightly on that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •