Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Strat ash build

Option 3 sounds the best. But sounds like I am a bit out of my depth. I would definitely need a diagram there I assume. I will probably just get a 5 way switch and go back to basics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that’s the general style of layout I was thinking of. The variant in the above diagram allows you to have the middle pickup on its own, but to mute the guitar you need to roll off both volumes.

The other variation feeds the middle pup’s volume to the ‘in’ of the master volume; you lose the option of having just the middle pickup by itself, but you can mute the guitar just rolling off the master volume.

It all depends of how you would normally use the controls, your style of playing and which pickup combos you actually use. A diagram for the latter variant is easy enough to draw up if needed.
    Scott.

Option 3 sounds the best. But sounds like I am a bit out of my depth. I would definitely need a diagram there I assume. I will probably just get a 5 way switch and go back to basics
    If you decide to go with a 5-way, and still want further options, look for a "7 Sound Strat" diagram. You can get all the standard strat positions plus N+B and N+M+B by using a push-pull pot or a mini toggle. (I prefer the mini toggle).

Also, if you really want the the pickup combinations you originally posted, and can live with the 1 volume/1 tone, you can wire as I said previously and just have an un-wired pot to fill the hole. (there are other clever ways to plug/disguise/cover pot pickguard holes too)

7 way toggle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7way toggle.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	32127
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for everyone’s help! I reckon I’ll go with the 3 way switch and go off that diagram. Thanks so much!
    Pickups have now been ordered. Last coat of sanding sealer has been applied.
    Now to decide what to do with the neck!

Still adding a coat of poly on everyday.
    Attacked the neck headstock for a change of pace. Happy with the results

I'm digging that headstock shape.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Yeah, I like that shape too.

It's sort like if a strat and a PRS had a baby...

Still adding layers of wipe on. Must say at the minute I prefer to spray. Not liking the way the poly goes on. But I’m going to persevere.

In the meantime stained the headstock. It will be masked off today so I can start spraying the neck.

Also got the new pickups. So I can start a bit of wiring!

Cool!
    I'll be interested to hear what you think of those Slick pickups. I've looked at them a few times, but never pulled the trigger.

Cheers

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast