Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Strat ash build

Quote Originally Posted by Freakystyley View Post
    I’m finding it hard to find a wiring diagram for 3 single coils, 3 way switch,1 vol,2 tone.
    You need a 5-way lever switch if you want the standard Strat style wiring for the three pickups. Or, are you wanting to use a 3-way switch with some other configuration?
    Scott.

I’d like a 3 way config
    bridge middle
    bridge-middle-neck
    Neck middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freaky for that combination, just wire the 3-way switch exactly like you would a standard tele (with a jumper that connects the two side of the switch across 4 lugs) then solder the middle pickup hot lead to any one of the lugs that has the jumper on it.

In your scenario, the middle pickup is continuously "on", so adding it to the jumper wire puts it in the circuit with either or both of the other two pickups.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks mcCreed.
    I think I get that. I have wired a tele before. I know it’s not a standard setup so I was being hopeful I’d find a diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakystyley View Post
    I’d like a 3 way config
    bridge middle
    bridge-middle-neck
    Neck middle
    How do you want your two tone controls to work in the above configuration, and what type/brand of 3-way switch are you using (stock or aftermarket)?
    Scott.

How do you want your two tone controls to work in the above configuration, and what type/brand of 3-way switch are you using (stock or aftermarket)?
    He wants 1 volume, 1 tone.

Thanks mcCreed.
    I think I get that. I have wired a tele before. I know it’s not a standard setup so I was being hopeful I’d find a diagram.
    Wire it just like this linked diagram except add the middle pickups hot lead to (any) one of the jumpered lugs. Make sense?

https://guitarelectronics.com/tele-s...iring-diagram/

The tone/volume portion of the circuit will also be the same as the diagram.

After market switch. Grigsby

SORRY, totally misread your earlier post!
    I swear I read that you were just wanting 1 tone.

The two tones make things a little tricky as most configs will give you an overlap of the tones in the middle position. That is, when in the middle with all three pickups on, both tone controls are 'on' (in the circuit) and having an effect.

Off the top of my head I can see three possible options:
    1. Tone 1 for Neck-Middle, Tone 2 for Bridge-Middle. But, both tones would be active/on in the middle position (as above).

2. Tone 1 for Neck-Middle, Tone 2 for Bridge-Middle with no overlap. That is, the middle position with all three pickups on would have no tone control at all.

3. Change it to a single master Tone control, a master Volume control and use the other pot as a volume for the middle pickup. That would solve the Tone control overlap issue and allow you to roll off the middle volume and have just bridge, neck or bridge+neck like a Tele.

Thoughts?
    Scott.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast