Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Strat ash build

Excellent, thanks for that mcCreed! Timbermating will start tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All sanded back. I must admit I was thinking it looks good enough to just lacquer it.

But where is the fun in that. Got timbermated again and sanded back

Not a great deal of difference. Will sand more to clean it up and put the stain on hopefully tomorrow

Stain has went on but it is a bit blotchy in parts. End grain has soaked up more as usual. I probably put it on a little thick. Hopefully a light sand back will even things out a little?

4. Liked by: BigDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Freakystyley View Post

Stain has went on but it is a bit blotchy in parts. End grain has soaked up more as usual. I probably put it on a little thick. Hopefully a light sand back will even things out a little?

If your still planning on using sanding sealer, when you sand it, it will also pull out a little bit of stain. You'll see it on your sand paper. Not a great deal, but may smooth things out a little.

That'll look great with a gloss coat on it!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

You're going to have to call this one the Tiger. I love it!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Looks wonderful, really like this finish

I'll also say I don't think it looks blotchy. I can maybe see a couple of minor dark spots, but I reckon it looks very even (especially for not having a condition on beforehand). I think you did very well to get it that even.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Freakystyley View Post
    Started this. While back. Black timbermate and dingorone red and tru oil. Hated the truoil finished and it stripped a bit of the red stain and yellowed a lot of the guitar.

So I am going to sand back as much as possible and and re-stain orange and try a different finish. Anyone any ideas on how I can get a glassy flat finish on an ash body?

It's pretty easy with Ash you need to do about 5 wet coats sand it back with 800grit and put 3 more coats and the same till you can sand it flat easily if your using a gun or rattle can if your using a gun just get some Matt clear, if your doing rattle can just spray cheap clear and get a place to mix you up some Matt clean or semi matt which will cost about $30 for a 300ml tin before you put you Matt over it give it a good 2 weeks to dry so you want have any shrink back issues with ash its a process but you can get it baby bun smooth on ash and of course ALWAYS USE A SANDING BLOCK

Thanks for that. Sanding sealer is currently drying out now.

I’m finding it hard to find a wiring diagram for 3 single coils, 3 way switch,1 vol,2 tone.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast