Thread: Neck Angle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Neck Angle

Hi All,

I've just finished my first PBG build (just putting a few touch ups before posting) which was awesome fun (SV1). I now have a non PBG as a second build and have some questions about neck angle.

I have a curved PRS style body and i've selected a stop tail from mannmadeusa which looks awesome, but i've found that it means the string height looks a little too much.

I've done some calculations and found that it probably needs a bout a 2 deg angle to then give me some possible height adjustment on the bridge. The neck is a glue in, so not sure about doing a shim on a glue in neck? Any suggestions?? Do you just put in a wedge and glue that first then the neck?? Does putting in the shim change the scale length measurement when working out the location of the saddle?

I plan to replace the nut which is a few mm smaller in height so that may help a little but the action is still a little high.

EDIT: It seems putting in a couple bits of cardboard at one end (not really think) makes the strings just touch the frets...so its not much that i need. Could i glue a wooden heel into pocket and then glue neck onto that?? I've added a pick of the cardboard shim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck Angle.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	31917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck Angle Image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	31918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck Angle Image 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	31919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck Angle Shim.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	31924  
    Last edited by a_novice; 17-08-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Build #001 PBG SV-1 Complete
    Build #002 Non PBG PRS Style Semi Hollow Complete
    Build #003 PBG TL-1TB Complete
    Build #004 PBG IC-1 In Progress
    Build #005 SMS 7Q - In Progress