Ok so this is just a placeholder for the moment until I've finished my first scratch build but I thought it would be useful to have somewhere to start dumping information that I've started collating as it may be useful for other people as well.

In the interest of setting myself another challenge, here is my next planned build.

Yep it's going to be a Rick build. The plan I've drawn above is based on the current 330 but with a 660 neck which is wider.

So far I've been trying to find as much information as I can on the internet and I've been able to find a bit.

The toaster pickups have the following dimensions:

3.5" long
1 3/8" wide
1/2" high
5/16" magnet roughly protrude out bottom of pickup

Rough bobbin dimensions:
71mm x 26mm x 9mm with the gap between the top and bottom flatwork roughly 5mm.

There is mixed information out there but it looks like they were originally AlNiCo 2 rod magnets 0.25" diameter. Modern toasters are AlNiCo 5. And they are wound with 44AWG wire to roughly 7.5K resistance.

The toasters sit on top of the body so the pickup routs are only to accommodate the wiring and the magnets poking out.

The machine heads used on the 12 strings now are Schaller M6 Minis.

Rickenbacker use maple for their bodies and necks with a plywood back on the bodies. I'm undecided on whether to get some maple for this build. I have a piece of Australian Red Cedar here that I could use for the body and a piece of QLD Maple that I could use for the neck. The debate is whether tonewood is a thing and whether it'll alter the "jangle".