Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's 2nd Scratch Build

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Are they pre-magnetised. or do you need to get them done?
    I have two Neodynium magnets that I'll use to magnetise them after I've assembled and wound the coil.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mentor
    So a bloke that I know has a 3D printer. So I figured why not give that a shot for making the pickup bobbin. So I drew the bobbin in Fusion 360 and sent him the file.

Here is the test print.

I made the wall of one of the magnet slots a little thin and you can see where it split when we were removing the magnets after we mocked it up. I'll make it slightly thicker for the next print along with a couple other slight modifications

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hah neat. I have a 3d Printer that gets used every now and then. It's super handy for knocking up spacers and little odds and ends.
    I've also printed logos out relatively successfully. It's only a cheapy from office works, so a bit limited with its resolution.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Could you print out a couple of holes in each of the two parts to fit some locating pins in?

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Could you print out a couple of holes in each of the two parts to fit some locating pins in?
    Funny you should mention that Simon. I was originally going to use magnets to locate the two pieces together but instead I've already modified the drawing as you can see in this screengrab. Now the centre section will slot into the bottom plate.

Mentor
    As I said this will be a slow build as I do a lot of research and planning. But the bobbins have been printed. I'll assemble them possibly this weekend.

And I'm working on the templates, including the template for the harp tailpiece. Here is a preliminary mock up of bits with the templates.

Wow, that's an ambitious build and sounds like you're really going from "scratch"!
    You gonna make all the hardware too????

I'll look forward to watching this. Good on ya!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Wow, that's an ambitious build and sounds like you're really going from "scratch"!
    You gonna make all the hardware too????

I'll look forward to watching this. Good on ya!
    Haha things that I can't buy or are ridiculously expensive I'll try and do myself. The harp tailpiece I decided to have a go at making because its quite expensive to purchase one from the U.S. l just need to get to the big green shed and grab some aluminium.

The one thing that is expensive which I'll have to buy is the tuners. The Schaller tuners are very expensive but I've found a set of Hipshot tuners that I think will work and are much cheaper.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast