Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ST-1: My First Build

I just got my kit and I've started sanding it down, smoothing out the edges and curves of the guitar. I have a question about the nut replacement though... how should I go about replacing the plastic nut on the neck with the bone nut upgrade that I got?
    I've also found that the holes drilled to attach the neck to the body are a little bit out of whack... not so much that I can't drill the screws in, but just enough that they don'e line up perfectly. Will this be a problem? Should I fill and re-drill these holes?

Hi Solafide.

with the nut, take a fine bladed saw, like a junior hacksaw, and cut a line across the width of the plastic nut more or less in the Centre. Take that cut down through the nut until you are almost at the base of it, but don’t break through.
    get a scalpel or a razor blade and run this around the edges of the nut, jus to break any glue spots.
    You then take a pair of flat nosed pliers, and use these to crush the plastic nut sides into the cut you’ve made, this should pul the sides and the base free of the fret board without damaging it.
    knocking them or levering them out tends to cause pull out and can chip the board edges very badly.

if you have the ability to plug and re drill the neck screw holes, I would do so. It will piss you off no end to create a beautifully finished guitar only to have a crooked neck plate!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2