Thread: Greetings from Mex

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greetings from Mex

Hello everyone,

I am new as of today to this forum. I have been lurking for a few weeks though, reading this, searching for that, etc. It has sort of begun to consume me. . . .

I am waiting on a price confirmation, but I am very likely to order a customized version of the FV-1G. I have been jonesing for a flying V for quite some time now. I actually had a harmony flying V as my second electric guitar back in 1986, but I stupidly sold it before I learned how to play very well. Ever since then I have had this constant nagging in the back of my mind that I need a flying V!

I have limited experience putting guitars together. I have done a couple of frankenstrat type guitars over the years and a fair degree of modding on regular brand guitars. A couple of questions that are eating away at me here at first.

1) How much drilling is involved with these kits? I have only ever measured and drilled for six screw tremolos on bolt-on necks. For example, will the V come with the holes for the ferrules already drilled or is that something I am expected to do?

2) Part of the "customization" of this kit includes a set neck. While the Harmony V didn't have one, I feel a Flying V should have one. So, I have pretty good practical knowledge of how to do this, but how difficult is it actually to do?

3) How is the fretwork on these kits? In my limited experience, all I have ever had to do was polish them up a bit.

Ok it's great to be here and I look forward to docmenting this process with you all. I also look forward to digging up some photos of other people's FV-1G builds.
    Last edited by doltex; 06-08-2019 at 05:59 AM.