Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: September GOTM

STA-1 from Andrew67

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SepAW03.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	31971 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SepAW02.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	31972 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SepAW04.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	31973 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SepAW01.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	31974

Andrew says:

"This is an STA-1 with Ash body. Very happy I made that choice. It is as hard as a cat’s head and really solid.

Upgraded to Tonerider City Limits Pickups and I sourced a brass bridge block to replace the little zinc alloy number. Finish is wipe-on poly. I think I lost 2 kgs with all the sanding and polishing. The finish on the neck is your Dingotone, and the rosewood fretboard finished with fretboard oil."
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

So its finished, despite the problem with bridge alignment.
    Shaller Floyd Rose, Dimarzio Humbucker from hell and Super distortion togheter with a Seymore Duncan JBJR2, CTS push pull pots. Mahogony body was a nice thing also but covered with mteallic pearl white.

Name:	IMG_8558.jpeg 
Views:	190 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	31976

Name:	IMG_8559.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	31977

Name:	IMG_8563.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	31978

Name:	IMG_8565.jpeg 
Views:	183 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	31979

Name:	IMG_8566.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	31980

Last pic

Name:	IMG_8567.jpeg 
Views:	183 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	31981

Comp closed. New one will be opened soon. Judges - start your engines!

The suspense....
    Build 1: FS-1 Complete http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7754

Build 2: RCA-4 Complete http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=8091

Gear: Fender Strat MIM 2017 (Gilmour baby!), Maton MS500, Fender Telecaster CIJ 1983 (70's Strat neck and heavily modded), Pitbull "Flinty Yeah-Nahcaster" FS-1, Pitbull "Chickenf*cker" RCA-4, Seagull S6 Cedar-top, Blackstar HT-60 Stage MkI, Line-6 Helix FX, Hartke HD50

Sorry teamjeffo - but good news - we can deliver!

Comments first:
    Mods notes:
    At work we have been spending some time looking at leadership – and a key part of that is being prepared and able to provide clear and meaningful feedback to those who you work for, with and who work for you. One of the learnings from here is “assume positive intent” - the feedback has been provided to help you to be a better … whatever – a reminder for all - where feedback has been provided here – it’s not to pick an issue with a guitar of a builder, more to help us all become better builders into the future.

GreyFloyd's TL-12 -
    Classic with a gentle flame – looks like a great player. Love the simplicity here – and admire what you’ve delivered! Are you missing some pickup screws on the neck pickup?
    I love the colour combo here - body, neck and headstock contrasting with the maple board and topped off with the chrome, black guard and white binding. Listing it makes it seem too much, but it works for me. Some obvious roughness in the finish which is unfortunate and the reversed tuners are always a concern. Nevertheless, this thing really calls to me - an awesome Tele 12.
    Great job! Love the colour.some finish inconsistencies & the upside down tuners have distracted from the end result though.
    Not a bad build over all, more attention on finish are required. Polish on the headstock would improve the appearance. BTW, where are the screw on the neck pickup?

TeamJeffo's JRM-1 -
    Big fan of the simplicity of the white and black. Nice artwork with some cool personalisation of the guitar. I might have been tempted to go harder with it – cover more of the face, but its all personal taste and making sure that the client is happy! Great work!
    Really great looking JR with excellent custom touches. Finish looks fantastic with nice graphics, although they're not to my particular taste. Love the inset 1c's . Would have liked to see a custom TRC as the stocky looked a little plain compared to everything else.
    The white finish has turned out well & is a great base for the artwork. And thanks for making me feel old
    Very clean and neat build where the graphic speaks for itself, nice details on the back of the headstock.

Step1507's ST-1L -
    Awesome – love this guitar for so many reasons. Finish is awesome – love the colour shift. Love the colour combo – it all works for me (didn’t think that the white knobs and pickup covers would, but it all… works). Logo and personalisation for your daughter – as a father of a daughter with a personal nickname – love it. If I had to pick some issues – logo needs a couple more layers of clear to disappear – they’re a pain. Other one would be that the colour isn’t totally flat – closeups show that you may have needed some filler or heavier base to get it totally flat before starting.
    Gorgeous ST. Love the colour, finish, and double points for the bear on the headstock, neck plate and even the pick... awesome. Black/white combo works well on the pickguard. Really nice.
    I’m really liking this! That finish has come out really well. And the black/white pick guard setup works perfectly with it.
    Nice pearl colour, the engrave on the neck plate is a nice touch. On a closer look you will see wood grain showed through the pain, better finish could be achieve if the body prep properly

Daniel Lee's PRS-1H -
    Beauty for me in a guitar personified – I’m a massive sucker for the simple and elegant. Love how much work must have gone into this guitar! Nice and simple logo that works with the flamed veneer on the headstock. Normally not a massive fan of the veneer on the headstock – but again – colour choice and layout have meant that this works in with the rest of the build. Great work! Things to work on next time – logo – can see where there has been some chip out while routing out the hole. I might have gone with a silver screw with the truss rod cover – it’s the only black screw on the build that I can see. Minor issues in a great build!
    Two words... Jazz Odyssey! Ambitious, daring, risky and almost unrecognisable from the original kit. And, built as a travel guitar - that's my kind of crazy. It makes you think of a warm soft tone as soon as you see it. Love the headstock too. Fan-bloody-tastic.
    Some major work here. It’s almost only half the kit now. A very unique take on this guitar.
    Well lots of efford done to this guitar, well done. From the pic, the pick up was so closed to the neck, does it affect the play ability on high fret?

Andrew67's STA-1 -
    Nice, simple, elegant, classy, love it. Would have loved something to make it yours – logo, something, but other than that nothing to pick!
    Beautiful work-horse looking ST. Great choice with the natural style finish, looks fantastic with the grain and contrast with the white plastics. Makes you want to grab it and start playing. Well done.
    Love it. Stripped back and pure. Although if the bridge is intonated it makes me think there is a build issue somewhere.
    Very neat and clean build, I really can't fault this build, if you like a nature finished strat, that is how it should look like

Piece's SV-1L -
    Nice work. I love the intent of the classic colouring, with some lovely upgrades to make it a great guitar! Finish is great – can’t fault it. Issues for me – looks like you’ve used someone else’s logo – why let yourself down – it’s a great build – be proud and own it! Couple of distractions for me are the black truss rod cover and back plate – would have loved to see them in pearloid. Cream blocks for the neck and bridge pickup are also a distraction – I think black would have fitted in better with the overall build.
    Always a busy looking style of guitar to my eye, but this one is really nice. Some heavy-duty upgrades combined with an excellent finish has produced something special. Still maybe a touch busy for me, but looks like a real screamer.
    The finish looks great. I might have gone with a different colour pick guard though.
    Very nice build, the gold hardware works match the body nicely.

And to the runner up:
    Overall - close call, but the runner up by a nose is Step1507's ST-1L:

And winner:
    The judges loved the amount of effort that went into Daniel Lee's PRS-1H:

Congratulations guys!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Build 1: FS-1 Complete http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7754

Build 2: RCA-4 Complete http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=8091

Gear: Fender Strat MIM 2017 (Gilmour baby!), Maton MS500, Fender Telecaster CIJ 1983 (70's Strat neck and heavily modded), Pitbull "Flinty Yeah-Nahcaster" FS-1, Pitbull "Chickenf*cker" RCA-4, Seagull S6 Cedar-top, Blackstar HT-60 Stage MkI, Line-6 Helix FX, Hartke HD50

Congratulations everybody, there is some quality on display here yet again.
    Would of been nice to follow a build diary of the winning entry, “Any chance of a sound demo, Mr Lee?”. Or a sound demo from anyone else?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Those would have been my picks this month. That PRS is crazy. Not my kind of thing, but huge respect for the level of modding.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast