Thread: New member saying hello

New member saying hello

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, and this may be my first official post here.
    I've been browsing the whole site for the past or week or so trying to figure out which model to build.
    And it's already been quite addictive even before starting any actual work LOL

Bottom line is that I can't make up my mind between a Tele or a Strat build.
    Mainly probably because I might need some more information before I order a Kit.

I kind of know what I would like to achieve on both models, but there are still a couple of questions to be answered before I actually make up my mind

For a Tele build, I would be looking at throwing in a set of Tonerider PUs (single coil + humbucker for the neck) and the corresponding pick guard. But here the bridge is main question mark. Given that I don't have a drill press (nor access to any) I reckon a string through setup is a no go as I don't want to mess up the body for a first build.
    What bridge would you recommend for a top loader configuration? The Babicz FCH Z Series look nice at a reasonable price. However a closer read reveals that it's a string through the body config.
    Would you guys have any suggestions?

As for a Strat build I would be considering a HSH set up. Would you know if all the ST models are routed with PUs cavities for such a configuration?
    And here also the bridge comes as decision making factor.
    Which of those options would be best suited forthe Kits on offer: Babics FCH Z Series 2 point trem, babicz FCH Z Series 6 holes trem narrow and Babicz FCH Z Series 6 holes trem wide?
    Any other suggestion is more than welcome

Cheers.
    Last edited by WeTheNorth; 05-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Welcome Aboard WeTheNorth.

Both the TL and ST kits are good starters. Personally, I would recommend doing the initial build of either using the kit hardware/electronics. You can absolutely get a very nice guitar without changing any of the components and as you'll have a bit to take on in the process already (finishing, assembling and setup) it can make things simpler for your first build. There is nothing stopping you upgrading at a later point.

The TL does not have to be built as a string through. I can't actually remember if the bridge allows it in the kit, but I have one with a Wilkinson bridge that allows either top load or string through. It is tricky to do tidy string through holes but not impossible. There have been a couple of techniques for doing it without posted here previously. Might take a bit of hunting to find (or more than likely someone will link in this thread if we keep talking about it )

The Babicz gear is awesome. I love them, but they are a bit pricey and possibly overkill. You'll get plenty of learning out of the kit bridges. Again, it's something that can be changed later on if you aren't happy.

From memory you could do a HSH setup in the ST-1 kit, I built one last year and I'm pretty sure the routing is there. If you look under the 'shredding' kits there are a number of HSH Ibenez style guitars. They do have Floyd Rose style trems which can be a bit of a pain to set up so maybe not ideal for your first build. Again, the kit bridges are not bad, but the Babicz ones are definitely a solid upgrade. You want the 6 hole narrow version to suit the ST-1.

If you are still keen to upgrade from the start, my personal order of preference would be:

Nut - get a graphtech to replace the plastic kit one

Tuners - The Grovers mini's offered as an upgrade on the PBG site are truly excellent and save a heap of time during setup. They are also a deadset bargain, being nearly half of what you would pay elsewhere when bought with a kit.

Bridge - Babicz is a good choice, but there are a LOT of options out there at cheaper price points.

Pots and switches - the kit electrics are by no means terrible, but they are just generic cheapy parts. I've used them with success, but I've also wrecked a couple soldering. The ST-1 kits are dead easy as I think all you need to do is solder up the input jack and the rest is already done for you.

Pickups - Honestly, I've had some great results with the kit pickups, I really quite like the Humbuckers that I've use in various builds and configurations - one of my favourites being in a TL with a PBG neck humbucker and Tonerider Vintage bridge. Those two combined just sing. That said, I've also used the Entwistle HDN's in an upgrade and they are fantastic. There are many, many options for upgrading in this area and its one of those things where you just have to try a whole bunch of different ones to work out what you like.

Anyway hope that helps.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Welcome WeTheNorth.

Sonic makes some great points above and has built more PBG kits than I so offers some good insight. Most of my building has been non-PBG non-kit.
    I also agree the TL or ST kits are good starter builds. Especially for learning and understanding the geometry of guitars and what makes the difference between a guitar that's just playable, and a guitar that plays great.

As for upgrades, SM nailed it with saying that, at minimum, the plastic nut has to go. From what I've seen the kit tuners have been quite good and are not what I would say require immediate replacement (like the nut). The only shortcoming I might note on the bridges, would be the stock saddles. I'm not a fan of cast metal saddles on anything, that's merely my opinion.

Also, I might add that doing a string-through with the TL is completely doable with a hand-held drill, but does pose its challenges. Do heaps of research about making a template or jig (here and elsewhere) and take your time when it comes to the actual drilling part. Like always "measure twice (or ten times) and cut (or drill) once!".

For pickups, if your an experienced player and know exactly what you like in a pickup, get what you want and do it as part of the initial build. FWIW, I haven't used any of the included pickups with my my two PBG kits, but I tend to have very specific ideas on my pickups. BTW, you can't go wrong with any of the Toneriders IMO.

Post something once you've decided on a kit and there's heap of folk here to offer good advice once you get building.
    Look forward to seeing what happens next!

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Much appreciated

I didn't mention the nut and tuners as it was obvious in my mind that those would be changed
    I've just ordered the Tele w ash body/maple neck & fretboard (with bone nut and mini grovers).
    While it's being shipped I will have some time to think further about plate and PUs config.
    I don't mind drifting away from the stock kit as I intend to go very slow

I will also look at pots in the meantime. Any recommended brand (in both 250 and 500k in case I opt for a neck H)?

Cheers.

I will also look at pots in the meantime. Any recommended brand (in both 250 and 500k in case I opt for a neck H)?
    If you haven't read it here already, just be aware that the control cavity of the TL bodies will require widening if you want to install full size (24mm) pots. Not a big deal if you have the right tools. There is more than one way to accomplish this, ranging from crude to precision. It only needs a couple of millimetres from memory, but something to think about.

Plenty of guys here have used the kit pots without issues AFAIK, and you can still upgrade to higher quality mini pots as an option too.
    All the top brands - CTS, Bourne, Gotoh make mini pots in 250 & 500k. I happily use upper-end Alpha brand pots (not the ones Jaycar sells - get them from a guitar parts supplier).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...