Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Build - Ash TL

I set my nut action by filing the slots in the nut [not the bottom.] You can individually adjust each strings height that way as well as ensure you get the correct break angle from the nut to the tuner post. [If the strings are too deep in the slots after cutting, I file down and re-shape the top of the nut to give me the right depths.]
    I set mine with the string depressed at the 3rd fret. The measurements I typically aim for is .004" for E1 to G, and .008" for D to E6
    (sometimes the D can go a bit lower). This is just my preferred method and what works for me.

[Tip: if you don't have feeler gauges, typical copy paper is about .004" thick. Just a 1 cm strip to slide under the depressed string. Then just fold it over (.008") for the heavier strings.]

Like with most things guitar, the numbers are not carved in stone. They're more of a reference point. Each instrument has it's own set of rules!

[edited to add more info]
    Last edited by McCreed; 16-08-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I set my nut action by filing the slots in the nut [not the bottom.] You can individually adjust each strings height that way as well as ensure you get the correct break angle from the nut to the tuner post. [If the strings are too deep in the slots after cutting, I file down and re-shape the top of the nut to give me the right depths.]
    I set mine with the string depressed at the 3rd fret. The measurements I typically aim for is .004" for E1 to G, and .008" for D to E6
    (sometimes the D can go a bit lower). This is just my preferred method and what works for me.

[Tip: if you don't have feeler gauges, typical copy paper is about .004" thick. Just a 1 cm strip to slide under the depressed string. Then just fold it over (.008") for the heavier strings.]

Like with most things guitar, the numbers are not carved in stone. They're more of a reference point. Each instrument has it's own set of rules!

[edited to add more info]
    Thank you so much for this mate - this is exactly what I was after! I have feeler gauges so no need to break out the paper. I'll take those clearances at the 1st fret with the strings depressed at the 3rd. The bone nut that I have has pre-cut slots so I guess I can use the current depth as a guide as to how much of the string protrudes above the slots.

Thank you so much for this mate - this is exactly what I was after! I have feeler gauges so no need to break out the paper. I'll take those clearances at the 1st fret with the strings depressed at the 3rd. The bone nut that I have has pre-cut slots so I guess I can use the current depth as a guide as to how much of the string protrudes above the slots.
    Since you have feeler gauges (and if you have a decent set of verniers*) another tip/trick for roughing in the nut slots is:

*NOTE: if you don't have verniers, you can measure the fret height with your feeler gauge this way -
    Lay a straightedge across the first two frets and stack the leaves until they barely slide under the straightedge. That's your fret height. (this is done without any string on btw)

> measure the height of your first fret (from fretboard to crown)

> add .030" to that figure

> stack the feeler gauge leaves (blades) to whatever that total is

> lay the stacked leaves across the fretboard right up against the nut

> file the slot until the file just kisses the feeler gauge - stop

> move on to your next string/file size (rinse & repeat)

Now you can put the strings up on the nut and go back and fine tune each with the string depressed at the 3rd fret as laid out before.

Thanks - I have a good quality dial vernier. What does the 0.030" relate to? Just trying to understand the calculation

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Thanks - I have a good quality dial vernier. What does the 0.030" relate to? Just trying to understand the calculation
    0.030” imperial = 0.762mm, 0.8mm for a realistic measurement.
    in this instance you want to have a rough clearance between underside of string/nut slot and top of first fret of roughly 0.8 mm. (Correct me if I’m wrong on that statement McCreed)
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

0.030” imperial = 0.762mm, 0.8mm for a realistic measurement.
    in this instance you want to have a rough clearance between underside of string/nut slot and top of first fret of roughly 0.8 mm. (Correct me if I’m wrong on that statement McCreed)
    That's right FW.

Fret height (X) + .030" = (Y) string slot bottom

Fine tune from there.

Super - thanks fellas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2