Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First build advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Tru-Oil has a slight yellow tinge. This will alter your pink colour, so you need to be prepared this will happen.
    Good point Fretworn. I can't picture what that might look like, but we've all seen examples of blue turning green with Tru Oil.
    Worth doing some test pieces if you can get some scraps of ash. If not, Tasmanian Oak might work as a readily available substitute.

I have invested in a few tools, particularly for doing the frets. So I will have them, just no experience using them yet. I think I may grab one of the real cheap ebay necks to experiment with before starting the real one just to build some confidence.
    An excellent approach. That's how a lot people get started (myself included).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Good point about the Tru Oil colour, what would a clearer option be to go over a stain? Would just wipe on poly work for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zakkary123 View Post
    Good point about the Tru Oil colour, what would a clearer option be to go over a stain? Would just wipe on poly work for that?
    Yep, poly has a more neutral effect on timber colour.

Thanks mate.

Quick question, I assume with ST style bodies I can upgrade pots etc. to full size CTS without issue? I know there can be issues on other styles because of the routs but there's no specific pot rout here is that correct?

The width of the route should be fine for full size (24mm) pots.
    However, check the depth if you're going to use any push-pull pots or a non-import blade switch (Fender, Gotoh, CRL, Oak Grigsby). I think the kit routes tend to be shallower than "licensed" bodies like Warmouth, WD etc.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I've only done one strat, but I think you'll be alright, there is a fair bit of cavity space. I'd also probably give the kit gear a go before upgrading. The one I built sounded great.

Looks like plenty of space to me

Finished
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2