Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First build ATL-1QB

First build ATL-1QB

Some good pix of finished product--the red scratchguard is definitely the way to go with the black trim.

Also a couple questions:

1. There is a twang on the high E string that is not on the others and not when in any fret. I assume it is coming from the string vibrating against the first fret but it sure doesn't look like it is. Anhyone have a similar experience?

2. Looks like the neck is concave when strung but I can't figure out what to adjust it with. looking in the hole just looks like a circular piece of metal about a half inch in. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATL.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	31778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2641[1].JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	31779  

The string could be rattling in the nut slot.

As for the neck relief adjustment the allen key that came with the kit is what you need

Nice looking guitar
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The string could be rattling in the nut slot.

As for the neck relief adjustment the allen key that came with the kit is what you need

Thanks so much. Is there a remedy if the string is rattling in the nut slot?

Use thicker strings

It was only a guess, but it you are using the plastic nut that could be the issue, if it is only while the string is open then it is almost certainly at that end of the neck.

Put a finger on the string at the back of the nut to hold it still and see if the problem remains, if it goes then the nut is the culprit or the string tree isn't in place and there isn't enough break angle on the string at the headstock and the vibrations are between the nut and the tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Use thicker strings

It was only a guess, but it you are using the plastic nut that could be the issue, if it is only while the string is open then it is almost certainly at that end of the neck.

Put a finger on the string at the back of the nut to hold it still and see if the problem remains, if it goes then the nut is the culprit or the string tree isn't in place and there isn't enough break angle on the string at the headstock and the vibrations are between the nut and the tuner.
    Sorry to be such a pain, but you can tell I know very little about this. I tried holding the string down and basically simulating a greater angle but it still twangs. I do have the plastic nut. When you said "goes" does that mean goes away--which is how I read it--or should that word be "does"? Thanks for your patience.

Yep, if by putting your finger on the string at the back of the nut and the rattle stops then you have identified the culprit, do you hear it through the amp or only acoustically.

Could be just a dodgy string of course.
    Always difficult to diagnose a problem sight unseen.
    cheers, Mark.

Where are you located FM, there are more than likely builders nearby who could eyeball the problem

I had the same problem (the twang like a sitar). Simple noodling with a .010 nutfile cured it. Also, you might need to adjust the nut slot height for intonation on that model, I had to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast