Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Spray Can Clear Coat???

Which Spray Can Clear Coat???

Hi all,

I find myself in a dilemma about what clear coat to use and would appreciate any advise you may have.

I am planning to use rit dye for the maple veneer on my guitar body and duplicolor acrylic lacquer spray can paint for the sides and back. I thought of using Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer Gloss Nitro from GuitarAust but then also read about recommendations for the WhiteKnight Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss. Are there any compatibility issues between these clear coats and the duplicolor paint? I would have gone for Behlen, but I can’t justify $35 a can as it is not something I’ll use often, unless it is much superior in the end result. The White Knight is available at Bunnings for $15.

Any other brands any of you have used or may recommend. Thanks.

I've been getting good results using SuperCheapAuto (SCA) clear gloss.
    Somebody reported that it doesn't dry properly, however after several guitar projects, I'm yet to see it.
    Only yesterday I purchased a can and it was reduced to $8.00.

I've had problems with Feast & Watson wipe-on-poly not adhering to some paints.

I've also used Cabot's Exterior Gloss and had the same issue with it.

cheers, Mark.

3. Liked by: christodav

Duplicolor perfect match is acrylic lacquer, you should be fine using another lacquer for clear. That's what I'm planning to do, with Minwax clear.

Don't use poly, and I've read tru-oil isn't compatible either.

I prefer Septone Clear Coat (acrylic lacquer - also available at SCA) over the Duplicolor Clear. The Septone goes over the Duplicolor base coat just fine. Not had any compatibility issues.

I can't remember why I didn't like the Duplicolor Clear (it was quite a while ago) but I know I was happier with the result when I switched to Septone and have just continued to use it. Never tried the SCA brand clear.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I put Cabot's Cabothane Clear Satin on the neck and it's exactly what I wanted. Looks and feels fantastic. 3 costs and that's about it. I've got the same Cabothane but Gloss on the head stock and for the body. Not sold on the gloss but It's early days.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I prefer Septone Clear Coat (acrylic lacquer - also available at SCA) over the Duplicolor Clear. The Septone goes over the Duplicolor base coat just fine. Not had any compatibility issues.

I can't remember why I didn't like the Duplicolor Clear (it was quite a while ago) but I know I was happier with the result when I switched to Septone and have just continued to use it. Never tried the SCA brand clear.
    Septone flows better and has better coverage IMO.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like it’s between the SCA and Septone clear then.

On another note, what procedure do you follow for coating and sanding. For example with nitro, you don’t really have to sand as one layer melts into the other. For these automotive clear coats, would you do 3 coats a day, 10-15 mins apart, until satisfied?

Also would you sand each coat before applying the next, or sand every 3 coats or so?

I sand every few coats, just to knock off bits of dust or bugs. Also, +1 for SCA or septone paint, great stuff.

I'll spray about 5-6 coats at a rate of one per day.
    Probably only about 3-4 on the sides.
    Then hit it with 400 grit sandpaper to reduce the 'orange peel' divots.
    Out with the Sandpaper man micro-mesh pads with Mequiers ultimate compound.

cheers, Mark.

Also my current build has binding on it. Is it alright to spray the clear coat over the binding, or should I mask it off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast