Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Rotisserie for painting.

Guitar Rotisserie for painting.

Someone posted a pic of a rack they had built for finishing their quitar body. I hope whoever did it, will post here and get some credit ;-) The rack allowed him to turn the body as he was painting. A great idea.

I recently realized that I was going to need something like this because I am using a brush-on clear coat. Much easier to do if I have both hands free, and if I can turn the body to catch drips and do both sides.

Unlike my predecessor who built a floor stand. I built this to attach to a tall, stable chair that I have in my garage. You could also make this to attach to a sawhorse or workbench.

It's a very simple rack. Here's a pic of it clamped to a chair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotisserie.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	31685

I attached the guitar body to a meter-long wooden cylinder that was left over from re-modeling a closet. I made the central channel in on the rack.

[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotisserie_in_action_close.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	31686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotisserie_in_action.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	31687

To rotate the guitar body, you just need to loosen the two upper clamps that hold the cylinder in the central track of the rack. Works like a charm.

BTW, if the rack looks rough that's because it is constructed primarily of boards my kids broke in Taekwondo. They have broken so many over the years, I have had to find creative things to do with them...

I made a new rig last year using the same principle.
    I used 3/4" galv pipe with a bit of pine fixed to it for the neck pocket. It works a treat.
    I clamp mine onto my 20 y/o B&D Workmate portable bench.
    I hope that chair is heavy enough to counter the body weight. I'd hate to see a post about a freshly painted body crashing to the ground!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Paint Jig 2.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	31688
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I hope that chair is heavy enough to counter the body weight. I'd hate to see a post about a freshly painted body crashing to the ground!
    The chair may look flimsy in the pic, but is actually very stable, and the body is pretty light. If it were heavier I might add cinder block but I don't think it's necessary for this build.

I made the rack in about an hour out of stuff I had around the house.

Yours looks like it belongs in the shop of a professional luthier. Nice!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yours looks like it belongs in the shop of a professional luthier. Nice!
    HAH!! Looks can be deceiving, but I'm all about keeping up appearances!

Cheers

Very impressive Rotisseries there boys. Beats mine I made out PVC pipes had lying around. It was actually recycled from a first attempt at making wheels for my kayak. Clamped to the side of my workbenchClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190420_213537_1.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	31690

My first thought was to do it with PVC. I am very much into cheap, fast and effective. You have achieved that nicely ;-)

Yeah! That works!

And, nice chunk-o-wood there too! (ash?)

Another observation, I think we bought our work benches at the the same place! Almost identical construction!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Yeah! That works!

And, nice chunk-o-wood there too! (ash?)

Another observation, I think we bought our work benches at the the same place! Almost identical construction!
    Yep that was my Ash JTL-1 (July GoTM) in the midst of TruOil progress wanted it on the spit so I could do all sides in one sitting. The rack is a very minty green colour from my Strat build. For that one, I was able to clamp it to the fence post outside for spraying. Super handy.

Made my workbench about 6 years ago out of structural pine from the BGS. Got plans from the interwebs somewhere haha you may have used the same plans!!

I wondered about the color. Assumed PVC is a different color in Australia...until I noticed that the screws are also minty green. I am sure we don't have the same workbenches. For one thing, the BGS is Orange here... But we may have the same decorator ;-)

10. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I wondered about the color. Assumed PVC is a different color in Australia...until I noticed that the screws are also minty green. I am sure we don't have the same workbenches. For one thing, the BGS is Orange here... But we may have the same decorator ;-)
    My workspace is currently decorated in a lovely shade of saw dust
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast