Thread: Neck Through Guitar blanks

Neck Through Guitar blanks

Hi

a lot left field and maybe not a market given I only found one site:

https://www.kieselguitars.com/necks/...eckthrough.php

They do "Gibson" style necks but no reason it couldn't be a fender style with no set-back?

Maybe not something I would take on right now but would be a safe stepping stone between a full kit and a full build from scratch - lots of great woods out there:

https://guitartimbers.com/shop/

Mind you could be too much dust from sanding

Regards

David

They'd be quite long I'd think. From a kit point of view that might make it quite difficult. Unless you were just selling the necks by themselves.
    Seeing as it would need glueing, routing for pickups, shaping of body etc. it's a fairly advanced project. Not sure how many people would be interested. You might be able to do a one off special order?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Hi

I agree with all the contras It wouldn't be for a beginner but would be a step up from a full kit. Really depends on the demand. I need to finish my first one and then a couple more I think before I took on something like this - requires skills and logistics I don't have atm

Anyway just an idea

Regards

David

There is a lot of work involved in a neck through, but it is doable.
    Materials wise it can be done for far less than what they are selling, its just a skills and time equation.

For an amateur builder, time isn't really a factor, so its a matter of building the skills and collecting a couple of indispensable tools
    (Router, Coping saw, clamps, Drill Press, Hand Planes).

If you can make friends at your local men's shed they may get you access to suitable wood working machinery. Some of the old heads may also be able to impart some of the necessary skills.

Having been and done this style of build already i would encourage you to try. Just make sure you have a plan to work to and that you are happy you can achieve the accuracy your plan calls for and you should be fine.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hi

You have a lot of confidence in my skills.

Kiesel Guitars are a lot more expensive than I would pay (or would be allowed to pay) - I think they are trading on name and a monopoly - can't see anyone else offering this product.

As I said this could be an easy half way step. You would still need to work a through neck - routing pickups, maybe taking down the top to give a clear cap, shaping to your body design etc etc. But you wouldn't have to work out break angles, neck pockets, Truss rods and frets etc.

I guess the reason for this forum is to explore ideas and for Pit Bull to determine if an idea is worth at least looking at.

Just drilled out the fret dots on my TL kit - that was exciting enough for today.

Regards

David

"Just drilled out the fret dots on my TL kit - that was exciting enough for today."
    Haha great to hear, what are you putting back in?

Hi

Red Abalone - posted pics in my build diary. I'm continually beset with doubt - amazing how it never seems to be exactly like the you-tube videos. Some acts of bravery with the finish to come - I will post it when its done rather than before I've sanded v1 off and decided on V2

Quote Originally Posted by LADAVE View Post
    Hi

You have a lot of confidence in my skills.

Kiesel Guitars are a lot more expensive than I would pay (or would be allowed to pay) - I think they are trading on name and a monopoly - can't see anyone else offering this product.

As I said this could be an easy half way step. You would still need to work a through neck - routing pickups, maybe taking down the top to give a clear cap, shaping to your body design etc etc. But you wouldn't have to work out break angles, neck pockets, Truss rods and frets etc.

I guess the reason for this forum is to explore ideas and for Pit Bull to determine if an idea is worth at least looking at.

Just drilled out the fret dots on my TL kit - that was exciting enough for today.

Regards

David
    I have alway believed that people can do more things, far better than they give themselves credit for.

But fair call, you are the best judge of your own abilities.

The idea is intriguing. I think it would work well, if you don't feel you have the time/Skills to go the whole hog off your own bat. Not sure it would be a viable option for PBG though.
    Getting Factory in China to understand what you wanted would be murder!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hi

I have found that my ideas are sometimes a bit ahead of my capabilities but I have done some good things - I built a leather wrapped 24kg game rod in red and white colours (swans) that is very presentable.

Not bereft of ambition but a bit light on infrastructure - would be interesting to see what Adam has to say - he would have an understanding of what China can do but I agree - not a mission for the faint hearted.