Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TL-1HA First Build.... how hard can it be.............

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    Hi mate.
    Great choice of guitar kit!
    Re: the gap- I’d wait till the bridge is in.
    Re other builds. You can check out my build diary in the same kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I was going to set the neck first to figure out where the bridge should go, but after you mention this maybe i should centre line the body, find the bridge location from a loose neck and then work the final neck location from there?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Shaping the Headstock. I was very conservative with my cutting, and have been sanding heaps. Still a bit to do, the round end looks a little boxy still. I'm happy so far though.

My main motivation for doing this build is that i broke my left wrist badly and gives me something to do while rehabbing. I'm 6 weeks post injury, 5 weeks post op, and 1 week out of the cast. It's going to be slow going!

Quote Originally Posted by ghalalb View Post
    Thanks. I was going to set the neck first to figure out where the bridge should go, but after you mention this maybe i should centre line the body, find the bridge location from a loose neck and then work the final neck location from there?

What I did was put the pups in the scratch plate and sit it in place.put string on the two e’s and then line up the bridge so the strings were perfectly over the pups and lined up well along the neck. Then I knew the best spot for the bridge.
    Good luck with rehab. How’d you hurt yourself?

4. Liked by: ghalalb

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    What I did was put the pups in the scratch plate and sit it in place.put string on the two e’s and then line up the bridge so the strings were perfectly over the pups and lined up well along the neck. Then I knew the best spot for the bridge.
    Good luck with rehab. How’d you hurt yourself?

Mountain Biking, flying down the trail feeling 21 again, crashed, looked at my buckled wrist, felt every 46 years I am!

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Question, i'm going to tru-oil the neck. I've sanded everything down to 1200grit except the fret board. Should I sand that too?

Question, i'm going to tru-oil the neck. I've sanded everything down to 1200grit except the fret board. Should I sand that too?
    NOOOOOOO!!!! In fact 1200 grit is probably too fine. The pores in the wood need to be open to allow the oil to penetrate. Usually 240 to 320 grit is fine enough. Once to oil has penetrated, hardened and built up some coats, then its fine to sand to your desired level of smoothness. You should never need to sand the fret board.

8. Liked by: ghalalb

Quote Originally Posted by ILRGuitars View Post
    NOOOOOOO!!!! In fact 1200 grit is probably too fine. The pores in the wood need to be open to allow the oil to penetrate. Usually 240 to 320 grit is fine enough. Once to oil has penetrated, hardened and built up some coats, then its fine to sand to your desired level of smoothness. You should never need to sand the fret board.
    Roger that, I'll back hit it with some 320 to open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ILRGuitars View Post
    What ILR said. I have one of my experiments that i decided to just sand the bejeezus out of. I went from 180 to 240 on the neck, though it felt great and continued on up to 2000, then hit it gently with micro mesh pads dry all the way through to 12000.
    It is so polished now, that it doesn't even seem to pick up grime from my sweaty hands.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

11. Liked by: ghalalb

Bridge ,neck and pick guard drilled and fitted. Now off they come for finishing. All going well i think.......

Shaping the Headstock. I was very conservative with my cutting, and have been sanding heaps. Still a bit to do, the round end looks a little boxy still. I'm happy so far though.

My main motivation for doing this build is that i broke my left wrist badly and gives me something to do while rehabbing. I'm 6 weeks post injury, 5 weeks post op, and 1 week out of the cast. It's going to be slow going!

thats a beautiful headstock, dude!

14. Liked by: ghalalb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast