Thread: Hi, son and Dad project starting EX-1

Hi, son and Dad project starting EX-1

Hi there,
    My son ('hobbydobby' on the forum) and myself are kicking off our first guitar! I'm very excited (possibly more than my son ). Long time music-lover, and -player, but never built a guitar.

He's kicked off a build diary here: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=9684

I've seen some of your terrific work on the forums already.

So come say hi, or we might reach out at some stage if we get stuck!

Also, for those interested in such things, for the project, I've got myself organised via a Trello board. I was wondering how to organise the project and after considering a whiteboard in the garage etc, decided on the Trello. Got most of the project steps set up in there, as well all the things we need to buy, links to finishing ideas, and the manual. Check it out here https://trello.com/b/KYWmxLHH/explore-it-yourself
    Any qns or comments, welcome.

Cheers

Welcome along Jonathan and Benjamin.

Looking at some of your questions on Trello:
    1. Do you stain the fretboard - typically no - though some have - usually to darken to black a fretboard (thinking a bass by Tim called Hellboy)
    2. Pickguard - totally personal opinion - some will leave to the end to see what it looks like.
    3. Tru Oil - will depend on your finish - if you are using something like DingoTone - you typically won't use Tru Oil - it comes with its own top coats.
    4. Guitar tech to check fret levels - can be done yourself - depends on how comfortable you are with it. Plenty of help and instructions once you get there.
    5. Does wood need to be seasoned. Shouldn't - it should have been before they cut the bodies.

Some other thoughts -
    Consider trimming size down - careful - they are built with a specific scale (nut to saddle) - this needs to be maintained but everything else is fair game.
    One to add to the suppliers links - Pitbull themselves - they have wiring, pots, resistors, stains, straight edges, etc.
    Sanding neck - typically doesn't need much and you want to be careful you don't add a ridge to the neck..
    Sandpaper - typically I'll start 120 grit and work through the grits to 240 / 360 depending on finish. Sprays - you can go higher, oils / stains - don't go too far as you'll polish the body and they won't take up as much stain.

Another fun thing you can do - Treble bleed circuit (couple of cents from Jaycar / Altronics) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0SLdOWvz3c

BTW - love the Trello board - first time I've seen it broken down to that level.

Hey Brendan,
    Thanks for the interest and answers to our questions and other suggestions! Very helpful.
    Interesting re: treble bleed. Will have a look.
    Yes - re: Pitbull - already assumed as a supplier Just ordered some Entwistle pickups.
    Last edited by Maverick_aus; 08-07-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

Good choice - have a reputation for being nice and hot.

Happy to help.