Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New music space - or 'A long list of compromises'

New music space - or 'A long list of compromises'

Over the last year I've been investigating improving / changing / building some new studio space. At the moment I have a nice enough room but a) the ceiling is more of an amplifier for upstairs space than any kind of baffle and b) my wife and i disagree on the name of the room. We both think the first four letters are S, T, U and D, but she thinks the last letter is a Y rather than the obvious I and O.
    So we started digging into options, up to and including moving house. Along the way life has thrown up its usual set of challenges: redundancy, new developments, arsey councils, planning covenants, mortgage terms, stolen motobikes and commuting requirements, future resale, etc. etc. etc.
    All of which has led to the current plan that is finally approaching implementation. Hence my starting this thread.
    I'll be updating this over the next 3 or 4 months or so (and potentially longer as things carry on and the list of compromises grows).

TLDR: we looked at moving house, extending, building a proper separate building, and finally a 'garden office' space. For the reasons listed above (and others) we've ended up with the last option.
    So here's the first set of photos with the clearance work to date.
    Before (1):

Before (2):

Chopping the trees and bamboo in prep for the gardener:

The gardener's here:

The gardener's gone:

Breaking up the concrete:

Digging out the post mounts:

Breaking up the hardcore base:

So we're currently at 'bombsite' stage and likely to be for the next few weekends as I break up the hardcore base and then it will improve slightly as I level the ground again in preparation for the base installation in 5 weeks.

This is why I'm not getting any other music stuff done!

Congrats on your studio build!

I built my studio in Adelaide South Australia in the backyard and completed it in 2014. It has been really great to work in but I spent around two years researching how to set up sound isolation, sound treatment, hvac, air con etc see https://smartsonics.com.au/ and how I built it at https://jimmyedson.com/studio/

I found two websites that were very useful - http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/ and Australian based studio designer John Sayers http://www.johnlsayers.com/

I see you are in the UK but basic principles will be the same.

Regards
    Jim

Glad you kept those zen looking trees. I’d like something like them growing in my garden, but I’m sure Perth’s climate eliminates that option. Looks like a big job, Drew.

Yep the acers are very nice and will be the main feature of the area once we're done. We've actually moved the one on the right about 1m closer to the house - big risk and it's still a bit touch and go but I think it's going to make it.

Hey bilnddrew. Good luck on you "adventure"!
    Just curious, are you pouring a slab and framing from the ground up? Going pre-fab? Transportable?

I've built a couple of in-home studios and happy to share what I learnt along the way when you get to that stage.
    I would have loved to have done a self-contained outbuilding like you, but circumstances didn't allow it.

What sucks is we eventually ended up selling both of those properties, so now I'm "studio-less". I'm jealous!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    We both think the first four letters are S, T, U and D, but she thinks the last letter is a Y rather than the obvious I and O.
    Dude, you just made me laugh so loud! This is my EXACT reality with my wife haha

We are going thru the same thing. In need of extra space for studio, sorry study. Plus kids requirements etc. House going on the market soon in search of suitability for the next phase.

Exciting times for you, keep us up to date with your progress.

The female of the species can have some very weird thought processes.

We are empty nesters in a fairly large 4 bedroom house and I put dibs on one of the bedrooms some time back, they are now redecorated bedrooms.

We are looking to move and downsize and are looking at 3 bedroom houses one of which I'm allowed to use exclusively for musical duties.

Weird, just weird

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Hey bilnddrew. Good luck on you "adventure"!
    Just curious, are you pouring a slab and framing from the ground up? Going pre-fab? Transportable?
    That's compromise number 1! Couldn't get planning permission for a concrete slab build (drainage issues) so it's going to be a pre-fab on piles.
    Got a big list of acoustic treatments to sort once it's up. Was thinking of getting started of them in the meantime but I haven't got room to store things in the interim.

I'll stick up more photos as we make process, but at the moment it's just glorified gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    at the moment it's just glorified gardening.
    Looks like a Real Estate Agent's concept of 'gardening'...except you've blotted your copy book by leaving some vegetation.

You'll be swinging that double bass around like it's made of balsa by now.

cheers, Mark.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast