Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TLA-1 First Build

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Looks pretty good for first time fret work. You're on the right track.
    I can see some of the tool marks you're talking about. One thing to consider is upgrading from your "budget" crowning file.

A good file made with higher quality steel will make a huge difference. The harder steel will have sharper edges on the "teeth" (and keep them longer too). Sharper, harder teeth remove the fret material much more smoothly (and with less physical effort).

I upgraded to good quality files after my first level & crown, and the next one was soooo much better and easier. I think I ended up re-doing the first job with the new files and the result was chalk & cheese!

Also, be conscientious of your stroke. Try to get smooth full strokes across the whole length of the fret using as much of the file as you can, not short sharp strokes using just one section of the file. And definitely not a back & forth "sawing" action (hopefully that makes sense)
    Thanks for the insights and makes total sense. An upgraded fret file might be on the cards for the next one. Will do some touch up with some high grit sand paper and try and get out some of the tool marks. I guess there is a learning curve to all off this!

Take two

Hi All ,

So take two on the fret polishing. I really wanted to get some of the deeper marks from the cheap crowning tool out.

My basic method was start with 600 grit sand paper and work through 800, 1000, 1500 and then polish again using the dremel and some polishing compound. I was carful only to hit the sides as to not effect the crowning process with the sandpaper.I am very happy with the result and now have super smooth and mirror shiny frets. Photo doesn’t capture the difference very well.

I have also put the last wipe on poly coat on the body of the guitar (around 20 thin coats). And will let this harden over the next 14 days or so, then plan to wet sand and buff with polishing wax and steel wool for a Satin finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC59608E-635C-400B-A229-A905061D8440.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	31822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF9B92F4-6C54-4069-8290-D9AB909D27D0.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	897.4 KB 
ID:	31823  
    Last edited by FCD; 10-08-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Oooooh, shiiiny!!!! Looking good

With absence of string holes, I'm presuming that you're going with a top-load bridge, yes?

One problem I encountered with the top-load on my TLA-1, was that to get the D/G saddle back far enough to where it needed to be for proper intonation, the wrapped part of the string (coming off the "ball") made contact with the barrel. Not desirable for optimum string vibration and resonance.

There are a couple of "cheats" to counter this, but I ended up converting mine to a 6 saddle string-through. More work, but it was worth the effort to me.

You may be fine with yours, but I just thought I'd mention it as something to look out for.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t want to try a string through for my first build. As I am not really that handy I thought I would try and limit my learning curve.

If I experience the same issues I may do a conversion to string through in the further.

I just received my kit today and Im as nervous as you are !!!! I was so over the moon because the neck fit the body beautifully which I was worred about should i had to shim it or something. So looks like I am gonna start sanding the body and neck. Any Ideas how a non handy person with few tools and room to work is small ... what finish should I use????

Quote Originally Posted by wheat View Post
    I just received my kit today and Im as nervous as you are !!!! I was so over the moon because the neck fit the body beautifully which I was worred about should i had to shim it or something. So looks like I am gonna start sanding the body and neck. Any Ideas how a non handy person with few tools and room to work is small ... what finish should I use????
    Being my first build I don’t really feel qualified to answer this question with a full scope, however, in prep for this build I have done some research. It seems there are a range of “easy methods” for finishing. In terms of adding colour to your guitar there are off the shelf wood working stains both oil and water based, leather dye, clothing dye, ink pad dye, home made colour agents (coffee, tea, mineral spirits mixed with nails and/or steel wool), purpose built guitar stains and many more I haven’t mentioned. There is so much information on YouTube and this forum in regards to application methods (do’s and don’t so to speak). The simple answer is how do you want your guitar to look? And work back with a method that you feel is achievable to your skill level. My advice if in doubt buy some cheap off cut of similar wood and do some test runs.

In regards to the top coat there also many options to protecting your guitars (to different degree’s). Wipe on options seem to make sense to me. Tru-oil, Tung oil, wipe on poly (Satin or Gloss), danish oil and many more I am sure. All effect the look and feel of the guitar to some extent in a different way. Again YouTube and this forum are your friend. And for each product it seems that there are many different application methods like cloth or foam brush, leaving once applied or wiping off once getting tacky or sanding/steel wool in between coats. I have tried several different methods during my build and it seems to all change depending on your technique or in my case lack there off

I have personally found the wipe on poly easy to work with in terms of application and if I have had any small runs or drip’s easy to sand out without stuffing up my work. I am not at the finish line yet so hopefully haven’t spoke to soon!

My best advice is to go slow, be patient and once you have applied something take time to look at it in different lights to find small errors (drips, runs etc.) Dust is a big problem for me but I have found sanding very lightly between coats takes care of the issue. I have also found when in doubt or if you have an issue use a combination of this forum, YouTube and google before making something worse.

I have a long way to go and probably will make more errors. but for me it’s not about having a perfect shop level guitar by the end. It’s about the process and if it all goes to Sh*t then I will buy a new kit and take my learnings from this one.

Hope this helps as it’s all option from someone who is not really a subject matter expert.
    Last edited by FCD; 11-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Being my first build I don’t really feel qualified to answer this question with a full scope...
    I thought you offered great advice there, and a lot of good options. The moral to the story is, there's no *one* way to do most of what we do here.

@ wheat - Just keep asking questions. Plenty of collective knowledge here that's shared openly.

As I say to all new builders, beware of Tru Oil as it will yellow over time and ruin a lovely blue axe by turning it green. Doesn't seem to effect other colours but never use it with blue.

FCD has nailed everything else I wanted to say.

Having finished a few guitars, I'm still finding myself trying new pickup combinations, wiring variations and other ideas. So just because you finish one doesn't mean you have finished one, you have only started on your next idea.

Good luck and have as much fun as we all do!

Having finished a few guitars, I'm still finding myself trying new pickup combinations, wiring variations and other ideas. So just because you finish one doesn't mean you have finished one, you have only started on your next idea.
    True dat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    True dat!!!
    At least you don’t have an Igor constantly generating future bad ideas.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast