Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TLA-1 First Build

Hi All,

Have been busy with sanding the guitar body in prep for grain filling. And have just filled with ebony timber mate. I am relatively happy with how this has turned out as I wanted something to pop the grain of the wood.

Next step will be reshaping the headstock and sanding down the neck. Any advice to what grit I should be sanding the neck? I will be applying a wipe on poly over the top of the maple neck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C4AD293-9751-4BAD-9F65-F78E004AAD20.jpeg 
Views:	246 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	31643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47FBEC50-FA12-4959-AE67-A2C5A7B9B021.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	860.0 KB 
ID:	31644  

That will look great when it gets "the wet look" with some clear on there!

As for sanding the neck, I usually do just a bit of 240 then 400. No need to go any finer IMO. Some folks don't even go that fine, but I think there's still plenty for the finish to grab onto with 400.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi FCD,
    Fun to read your progress, as another recent first-timer.
    The grain is coming out nicely there with the stained timbermate. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about getting the grain to pop as well. Can I ask why you went with the ebony timbermate rather than a stain?
    Good luck with the rest of the project.
    Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

Hey,

I used the ebony timbermate as an contrasting colour. From my very limited understanding a stain will pop the grain but more inline with the colour that you are applying. I used the timbermate wood filler (diluted with a few drops of water) to highlight the grain and to really stand out from my finish.

Headstock completed

Finished shaping the headstock - happy with the result - kind of a telecaster flavour without a total copy of the fender headstock.

Name:	F8A7F674-F2D4-45D8-80DD-B9E8F87C148E.jpeg 
Views:	216 
Size:	504.5 KB 
ID:	31649  

Good luck with the new build FCD. Can assure you there is a whole heap of help on this forum as my great-sounding Resonator attests. Wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. Received my TLA-12F kit today as I am interested in how a home-built 12-string sounds.

Thanks FCD. Having had a bit more of a research I think I'll try a black stain, then sand, then coloured stain and see how we go. Good luck for the rest of yours.
    Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_aus View Post
    Thanks FCD. Having had a bit more of a research I think I'll try a black stain, then sand, then coloured stain and see how we go. Good luck for the rest of yours.
    Sounds like a plan. There are so many different options for the finish of a guitar - I think that’s half the fun with the build process. Good luck with your build. I am following your build diary and looks like it will come up a treat.

Thanks mate. Yes, I agree re: the finishing. It's certainly a learning process. It's so satisfying working on something that is unique and which, when complete represents the journey you went through in creating it.
    Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

Hi All,

I have started finishing the body of the guitar. I started with a few coats of danish oil and was happy with the colour that was achieved. I will be applying a few coats of some wipe on poly to the guitar. I am working in a small tin shed and have noticed that lots of dust is settling on the guitar body in between coats. I have been using a tack cloth to get the dust of the top but some small spots have dried in. What is the best approach to dealing with this?

I will be attempting to straighten out the neck of the guitar today at some point and may apply some wipe on poly to this too. It seems I will need to do a full level as the frets are all over the place in regards to hight. Anyone have any tips on the neck straightness. I am assuming this is a critical point in playability and needs to be dead on for fret leveling.

Name:	8C1E754C-13B1-4BA0-A9C7-915730204DC4.jpeg 
Views:	212 
Size:	809.8 KB 
ID:	31675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	763563A3-71DD-4579-ADCE-E40DC178ED46.jpeg 
Views:	211 
Size:	466.2 KB 
ID:	31676  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast