Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TLA-1 First Build

At least you don’t have an Igor constantly generating future bad ideas.....
    Yeah, no Igor, just the voices in my head...

Now... where'd I put that tinfoil hat????
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Looks pretty good for first time fret work. You're on the right track.
    I can see some of the tool marks you're talking about. One thing to consider is upgrading from your "budget" crowning file.

A good file made with higher quality steel will make a huge difference. The harder steel will have sharper edges on the "teeth" (and keep them longer too). Sharper, harder teeth remove the fret material much more smoothly (and with less physical effort).

I upgraded to good quality files after my first level & crown, and the next one was soooo much better and easier. I think I ended up re-doing the first job with the new files and the result was chalk & cheese!

Also, be conscientious of your stroke. Try to get smooth full strokes across the whole length of the fret using as much of the file as you can, not short sharp strokes using just one section of the file. And definitely not a back & forth "sawing" action (hopefully that makes sense)
    Any chance you could suggest a good crowning file?

Any chance you could suggest a good crowning file?
    Most of the files I've seen that are made in Japan, are good quality, but be prepared to pay. IMO, files is one area not to cheap-out on.
    Uo-Chikyu is one brand (MIJ) that are very good (I have their nut files). Stewart-MacDonald stuff is pricey but good (usually the shipping is what hurts). My crowning files are Stew-Mac. You don't have to get either of those brands, but like I said, don't go budget. Shop around online; there's heaps of options.

What I can tell to avoid like the plague, is any files that are chrome plated (like cheap $10 ones from China you'll see on fleabay). The chrome plating actually extends over the teeth, not just the flat sides, and are dull as a fart!
    I received one as a "free gift" with an order of other stuff and it is an absolute POS.

I'm not a fan of the ones that are kind of a handle with different size inserts, but that's just me. That's what I bought my first time. Used it once and moved on.
    And remember, you'll want to consider buying more than one file for different sized fret wire.
    Last edited by McCreed; 12-08-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Next step

Hi All,

So after letting my poly cure, I decided to have a go at finishing the guitar body. Basic method was to level sand the last coat with 600 grit and then give it a sand at 800, 1000, 1200 and 1500 for a smooth level finish. As I want this guitar to look a little more “weathered” look I finish off with 0000 steel wool and some finishing wax for a satin finish on the body.

Next step was copper shield the guitar to limit the buzz as much as possible once it is all complete. I got some copper shielding tape from Pitbull, however, was well short of being able to complete my guitar. Credit to Adam as I emailed him to explain this and he said he would send me out some additional tape. As I was impatient and also need to solder the electrical stuff, I decided to get some from the local hardware store and finish off the guitar. I ensured that I soldered the connecting/overlapping pieces for copper tape, where I was short from the other tape. I check for continuity across all aspects of the guitar and it seems to have worked.

Next step is to bolt the neck into place - starting to think about final build steps and putting in the hard wear. As I am so new to guitar I have so many questions about step up etc but will post once I need advice in this area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6D94F28-D8BF-43AE-8236-3FC82F33404F.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	31933  

Yeah, no Igor, just the voices in my head...

Now... where'd I put that tinfoil hat????
    Marthter McCreed, the tinfoil hat ith not a defenth againth the voithes in oneth own head, it merely blockth out the exthternal dithtractionth. Very helpful for dithtributing electrical dithchargeth though...Kind regardth, Igor.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hi All,

Over the weekend I am looking to screw in the neck and install bridge and glue in the nut. I am looking for some advice to get the action of the guitar right or as right as possible. As stated early on I really have no experience with guitars (playing or building) so this seems to be a trick part for me.

Looking for simple ways to ensure that I basically don’t stuff this up. I did buy the putbull radius gauge if that helps. So looking for some easy tips, tricks or hacks that will make my life as easy as possible

Hi All,

Had a few hours to myself away from the family and decided to work on the guitar. Today was one of the biggest days in regards to the build for me. I started off by screwing in the neck - this seemed to go okay.

I then remarked out all the measurements in order to install the bridge and also have correct intonation. I am not sure if I measured correctly the first time but it seemed to be off by about 1.5mm. I simply moved the saddles forward a little so hopefully I have enough travel in order correctly intonate when I string up. It was only marginally off my original measurements but a pain.

I then fitter the pickups to the bridge and the pick guard and soldered everything together. This seemed to be much easier then I expected as most of the work was pre done. Some trouble shooting along the way as my output jack hot wire was grounding out but managed to locate the issue and fix this. Did a tap test of the pickups and the 3 way switch and all seems to working as needed.

If I have time tomorrow I will install the after market nut and if possible string up and do a set up. Still not 100% sure regarding the string height, action etc but I am moving along and working towards figuring it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F54068B-6822-4165-A945-E8869C04F445.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	687.5 KB 
ID:	31967  

Looking good. I really like that colour on the wood and the contrast of the grain. It's the first time I've had a close up look at a photo.

Looking good. I really like that colour on the wood and the contrast of the grain. It's the first time I've had a close up look at a photo.
    Thanks mate, the finish is what I had in mind so happy with it so far. Not everyone’s cup of tea I would imagine

Thanks mate, the finish is what I had in mind so happy with it so far. Not everyone’s cup of tea I would imagine
    That's what makes it YOUR guitar. Solid colour paint jobs are cool, but fairly ordinary at the same time. Yours almost has a slight Zebrawood look to it. (thumbs up emoji)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast