Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolf's TL-1A

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the results so far too, a lot to do with all the info around here, thanks!

Total coats as Simon says: 3 to 4 total body coats per can.
    I first spray left to right and then up and down, till I get the lacquer to form a white-ish colour, but not more so it'll pull runners. (With the stand I made I can always make sure the surface is somewhat level to prevent this from happening)

Initially I thought 3 cans would be enough, but I have that high spot in the veneer that I wanted to be sure to cover and even though I used the ebony timbermate as grain filler on the back, I had a lot of pores/grain to fill with the lacquer. I am thinking the temperature increase from winter (3 months ago when I did the filler) to now finishing has caused the filler to shrink a fair bit.

@FCD, How many cans are you in?

Thanks Rolf,

I have done about 1 can but have done pretty thin coats. Will have a go at a second spray can in a few days.

I saw some amp responses putting in a plug for the Boss Katana. While they are nice amps, and fantastic value for money, I have to say I have had a THR-10c since 2013 and I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. I still find new sounds to dial in and despite no effects loop it can handle pedals well. That said, they are expensive and if I were buying something now I would probably end up with a Katana 100, or an Egnater Tweaker perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by FCD View Post
    Thanks Rolf,

I have done about 1 can but have done pretty thin coats. Will have a go at a second spray can in a few days.
    Sounds like we went the same route, I thought to give nice and thin coats, but after one can and a light sand I figured this does not fill grains or fill around the high spots. Good luck with the second one!

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I saw some amp responses putting in a plug for the Boss Katana. While they are nice amps, and fantastic value for money, I have to say I have had a THR-10c since 2013 and I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. I still find new sounds to dial in and despite no effects loop it can handle pedals well. That said, they are expensive and if I were buying something now I would probably end up with a Katana 100, or an Egnater Tweaker perhaps.
    Thanks Jugglindan,
    I recently bought myself the entry model of the new THR10 II. I wanted to go for the THR10C, but these are all accesable in the new amp too, and with a price difference of 70$ I thought I'd go with the latest model.

I tested the new Thr vs a Boss air and found the sound of the Thr better and dailing into great sounds easier on the Thr. Besides that, the Air was more expensive. (Katana is cheaper, wasn't in store yet at that moment, so have no comparison on that)

I guess we're all just spoiled with the choices of technology these days, If we'd only had the Air, we'd think it was the best amp on the planet and vice versa :-D.

Ooh, the THR10 II has a bunch of features I wish the 10C had. Nice! I am sure you have discovered that some settings are only available through the app (compressor models, noise gate, change cab sim separate to the amp model etc). So many options to explore. Great choice!

One thing I love is how faithful the amp models are. For example, the Deluxe model is supposedly based on a Deluxe Reverb. I always struggled to get a good bass out of that model, it always sounded "flubby" leading me to set the bass eq to a very low setting. It was still flubby but not so obviously bad. Turns out the originals are somewhat infamous for the same thing.

I am sure you have discovered that some settings are only available through the app (compressor models, noise gate, change cab sim separate to the amp model etc).
    Yeah I know.. But with every amp I kept running into things that were missing or lacking. I did not want to run the amp through an app too, but it was a comprise to get the amp that made the most sense to me. I use the preset function and enjoy those for day to day and when I have more time, I'll launch the app. And to be honest, when you put on a backing track, to also launch the app is not a biggy.

Good luck with your build btw.

On the first-gen THR amps, if you used the app to configure a patch with the "hidden" settings, then that patch could be saved into a preset on the amp. This allows you to get those settings without the app next time.

And thanks. I haven't made much progress on the build yet. Spare time is limited and I keep getting distracted by breadboarding overdrives from TagboardEffects

When the screw holes of your pickup ring go into nothing!!

Today Sunbird had an appointment with Doktor Rolf, applying some epoxy to create "something" to bite into. The only thing is... I have to lift the pick-up out before the Epoxy goes hard, but leave the pickup in there long enough for it to set :-). Makes for some excitement again.

Still not dreading the decision to get rid of the pickguard.

If all goes well, the end of next week we can start sanding and polishing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191119_133715_resized_20191130_012507392.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	32889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191130_124614_resized_20191130_012507075.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	32890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191130_125410_resized_20191130_012506773.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	32891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191130_132153_resized_20191130_012506442.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	32892  

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Whoa, that's one way to do it!

I glued small dowels in the corner of the cavity of my Sonicaster so I could use a pickup ring.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast